Microsoft Word 2008 saves corrupt files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xexets, Aug 13, 2010.

1. xexets macrumors newbie

Hello!
    I am having a very troubling issue on two different computers.
    Both run the latest Snow Leopard and Microsoft Word 2008.
    The problem is the following:
    Every single time I save a .doc file I end up with a corrupt doc: I can open it only with the computer that created it, and only with Word. No other software (even QL on the same computer) can open it. I have to re-open the doc with Word, SAVE AS, do a compatibility check, ignore all the issues or fix them, then save it with a different name. Then it works.
    The only difference between the two computers is that with Word 2008 at times I cannot even save it with the workaround I explained above: I have to save as DOCX with compatibility check in order for it to work.
    This is getting really annoying, as every time I have to send a .doc for work reasons (several times a day), I end up having to triple check it and save it.
    Can anybody help me out with this? I can't find any specific help in Google on this issue.
    Thanks!

2. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

Without knowing what is in the document I can only guess that you have some type of corrupted object in it. I used to have saving issues with an older version of Equation Editor.

Do you still have this problem with blank documents created by your computer? What about blank documents created by other computers? Are you putting anything other than text in the documents? Maybe those are corrupt?

3. xexets thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip.
    I actually did not mention any content because it happens with most doc files, regardless of the content.
    Usually they are text only, but they can contain graphics (such as a cover page), text tables, TOC and indexes, notes and bibliography. No equations or charts though. I will try to reproduce this problem with a blank document to see if this happens.
    In any case, this happens with docs created by others, which I then modify and save on my computers or with docs created with my computers.

4. xexets thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep!
    It happens also with blank documents, as soon as I type the first letter:
    I create a .doc (not docx).
    I save it.
    QL sees it.
    I re open it in word.
    I input a single character.
    I save it.
    Bam... Corrupted.
    I have to re-open it, save as, compatibility check and then it works.
    Any clues?

5. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

I would try resetting the preferences (search google because I don't remember where thoe folders are) and if that doesn't work I would reinstall office.

6. nadyne macrumors 6502a

It sounds like your normal template got borked. More information on the normal template, and how to fix a corrupted normal template, is available from the Word:Mac MVPs' page about the normal template.

Please remember that the Office:Mac 2011 beta is private and under NDA, so can't be discussed publicly at this time.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

7. xexets thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much Nadyne, deleting and letting word rebuild the normal template seemed to do the trick! Now word works perfectly. PS: apologies for discussing a product under development (which BTW works great, and I am looking forward for its release!)