Microsoft Word 2008 SO different on Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eclipse, Jan 19, 2011.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi,
    anyone know why Word2008 is so different on Mac compared to PC? I've got Word for PC on my ugly little abomination of a Windows7 machine, bought for an online course I no longer intend finishing, and Word for PC has the 'Ribbon'.

Mac does not.

Anyone know why?

Another thing: I blog and post on another vBulletin forum frequently. I wanted to use Word for the grammar checker. Thing is, when I copy and paste all this weird CSS / code stuff is at the beginning of the paragraph. Anyone know why, and how I turn that off? Cheers.

2. mmulin macrumors 6502

Microsoft decided not put them into Office:2008 but they did in Office:2011.

I don't really understand what you are trying to do and how but try the Office for Mac forums at Microsoft: http://www.officeformac.com/productforums/

3. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

I love Mac-ish software, but I wish the world would adopt something and stick with it! I wish we didn't have to learn how to suck eggs all the time! This is why I kind of hope the world goes Open Source. If I ran the world I'd put all the Mac developers in a big room with psychologists, programmers, project developers and community developers that could get all these hired experts talking to the Open Source grassroots movement, and we'd all come up with the ONE WAY of doing things, and we'd make it work.

It's the human capital involved! I know how to check grammar etc in Word for Windows, but just got a bit lost in Mac. Oh well.

Thanks for your time.

4. mmulin macrumors 6502

I don't think it is "Mac-ish" at all. Microsoft did a very lazy job on Office:2008. Doesn't work like the Windows version, doesn't look & feel like a good Mac citizen. 2011 is supposed to be much better combining both worlds with the Windows version. Try iWork'11 from Apple if you don't require all the bells and whistles Office gives you but still want a powerful package.

Regarding OpenSource; as much I love the concept, UI consistency is not one of its perks.

5. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

How is the grammar and stuff?

Yeah, it looks clunky and really needs some work. But Putin has just signed a bill that ALL Russion public service computers will be Open Source by 2015. That trend might continue around the world, as China is also concerned about potential CIA back-doors to Langley in Microsoft. (Even if it is only a rumour from an old Tom Clancy Novel, the fear-mongering is working!)

Maybe one day hey? I'm just tired of trying different software and want stuff that works, is reliable, and has good grammar checking.

6. mmulin macrumors 6502

I have no real comparison as I don't use Office very much. iWorks uses the MacOS system wide spell checker, which does what it is supposed to do. The grammar check seems simple but good enough for me. You can download a 30 day trial from Apple: http://www.apple.com/iwork/download-trial/