Microsoft Word 2011 Shapes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Blakeasd, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

I am trying to finish a document I started on with a Windows computer running Office 2007. In the document I started a flowchart that I need to finish. The shapes were from the section labeled Flowchart in Office 2007. When i go to the Flowchart section from Shapes in Microsoft Word 2011 for Mac and drag in a shape, the shapes look nothing like the Office 2007 Windows shapes! In the Mac version the shapes have all kind of shadows and visual effects. The windows version are just 2D outlined shapes.

Is there a way to by default just drag out simple-outlined, white BG shapes that aren't 3D. There's no way I can go through and edit each shape (no Copy + Paste) because I require many different shapes. Even when I do edit the shapes, they are inconsistent with the shapes I already have from the Windows version.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Is the document in Compatibility Mode? Can you update and save to a *.docx file and see if that helps? Make a copy first so you can easily revert if needed.

3. MLinneer, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

Select the object and Control click, then select "Format Shape..." That will bring up the property box where you can edit just about every property you can think of. Microsoft apparently made the default effect 3D shadowed in 2011 version. Click the Shadow pane and deselect it to flatten, then adjust your fill and line colors to match the Office 2007 style. Downside could be that the objects may no longer be compatible with Office 2007 if you want to go back and edit it on the other system.

Edit: You can shift click multiple shapes, then control click any one and edit the properties for all selected shapes. I just did it on a test document. You can also Control click one you've edited and select "Use as default shape" and any shape you drag from the Shapes Library will use the same properties... line color, fill, shadow, ect.

4. Blakeasd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm.. The Format AutoShape almost works, but there is still another problem. The arrows' heads in Office 2007 are far thinner than the mac version. While I can get the line thickness and length exactly the same as the Windows Office, the arrow's head is far wider. This makes the Mac arrows look completely out of place.

Do you know of a why to fix this?

Thanks for your help!

5. MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

I don't know of a way to actually change the shapes themselves. I have Office 2010 for Windows at work and played with it on a test .docx file. There are ever so slight differences between some of the shapes in the Windows 2010 and the Mac 2011 versions. Starting a doc in Windows and then opening it on my Mac is flawless, but adding the same arrows next to each other you can see they are different.

Since the shapes themselves change, it seems to me they are actually imbedded in the document, like separate images, rather than calling a default object set. The differences are really not surprising if you think about it though. The Windows Office and MacBU are separate units at MS and they obviously don't share libraries between versions, and they must also update/change them from version to version.

My thinking is that the easiest resolution to this is to use a common 3rd party library of shapes. Each shape is just a flat image so you can just import it as a floating image and place it anywhere you want. No as elegant as the built-in library but that way would at least be consistent between Windows and Mac versions.

Just for giggles, I looked at the built-in flowchart shapes in LibreOffice 4 and they appear to be the same between Mac and Windows versions.

Sorry I can't be of more help with this :(