Microsoft Word - Adding Line Spaces

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kolax, Jan 23, 2010.

1. kolax macrumors G3

This is doing my head in.. I'm using Office 2008 Word, and I want to add a list under some text. But I don't want there to be a line space!

This is what I want:

Blah blah blah. Here is some examples:
    - Example 1
    - Example 2

But instead, Word adds a bloody line space in that I can't remove:

Blah blah blah. Here is some examples:

- Example 1
    - Example 2

Under Paragraphs, I have "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style" ticked.

Is this something really simple that I'm missing? I've been playing around for 20 minutes trying to work out how to stop Word adding that damn line space..

2. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Never mind, found what was causing it. "Spacing After" has the default value of 16pt.

Attached Files:

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, I figured. But your post might help someone else. Thanks for posting the fix, not just "nevermind".

4. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Thing with Word.. nothing is ever simple. Things are tucked away and aren't always obvious. Now I know what was causing it, it looks obvious, but the UI is pretty bloated.

The default settings (line spaces everywhere etc) is stupid! Average user will press enter twice if they want a line space. Word doing it automatically and the option to stop it being tucked away in a menu option really isn't great.

Also, even though I'm on UK English in Word, it still uses American spelling. Sigh..

Maybe one day Word won't make me smack my desk with my palm..

5. coops macrumors regular

I've used Office word for years.... switched to Mac and found a great resource for info about using Word efficiently - taken me many years to get around to it... but you'll find lots of good info here

http://word.mvps.org/Mac/UsingWord-macIndex.html

I particularly recommend going to the 'Bend word to your will'
    http://word.mvps.org/Mac/Bend/BendWordToYourWill.html

and download the article/manual - as he says, best to pick and choose what you're interested in, and browse as it's a very large and wide ranging document. I got lots of useful info on templates from it.... (as you can guess from his title, it's main purpose is getting Word to do what YOU want... from applying Styles, to auto correcting and all those possible irritants).

Coops

6. iLina macrumors member

yes exactly how it is done.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

The dialog box shown above is accessed from the Menu Bar: Format > Paragraph... :)