Microsoft Word Crashing Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Gen Boutilier, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Gen Boutilier macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So, as of last night, every time (or almost every time) I open Microsoft Word to edit a document, I make one or two small changes before I get the spinning beach ball of death that seems to never go away (I let it go once for five minutes before I force quit the application).

I have no idea why my Microsoft Word is acting up like this so randomly. I have Microsoft 2008, so its old, I know, but it is crucial that I have it for my job.

Any ideas?

I am at my wits end with this one. I got so frustrated that I almost threw my computer across the room (its a 2008 macbook, so it wouldn't really be that much of a loss).

If there isn't a way to fix this, is there another application I can use to edit word documents without the format changing? (Google Docs and Pages change the format drastically).

Thanks.

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I had this issue after a MS Office patch on my last MBA. Do a full reinstall of MS Office and you should be okay.

3. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

So i've been lucky that my undergraduate and graduate institutions have Office available for free. I just use my email (which is just a forwarding email now that i've graduated from both) to sign up for "office for education".

You can see if you're eligible here: https://products.office.com/en-us/student/office-in-education

4. troubleonline macrumors 6502a

troubleonline

I was having similar problem recently old version of Word (prob also 2008 .... Maybe even older) and a 2008 MacBook. The OS is pretty old too as I haven't updated for various reasons. I discovered that even while the beach ball was spinning that I could carry on working without problems whilst it was spinning. I could even save documents.

I have a new Macbook arriving tomorrow and I intend to use Office 356 going forward as I now get access free via my employer but could you perhaps look into that......

As a side note I checked out the trade in value of my late 2008 aluminium unibody MacBook on the apple website yesterday and was amused to learn they* deemed to have no value. Seemed a bit harsh!

*not sure the trade in scheme is operated by Apple

5. troubleonline macrumors 6502a

troubleonline

Be careful as you may find this is not possible - I treed to install an old versions on MS Offi e on my iMac recently (same version I have on my o,d MacBook) and was unable to install (actually prevented) as no longer supported.