Microsoft Word error. How can i stop it?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dineshs, Apr 19, 2015.

1. dineshs macrumors newbie

Hello!
    When I attempt to open a Word document, I get this error message:
    "Word failed reading from this file. Please restore the network connection or replace floppy disk and retry."

Does anyone know how I can fix this ? It's a very important document.
    Thanks.

2. EdmondGir macrumors newbie

Microsoft Word

Hello!
    When a Word document file is corrupted, then you can try several methods to recover it:

1. First of all, you can try the recovery function integrated with Microsoft Word, as follows:

1) On the File menu, click Open.
    2) In the Look in list, click the drive, folder, or Internet location that contains the file that you want to open.
    3) In the folder list, locate and open the folder that contains the file.
    4) Select the file that you want to recover.
    5) Click the arrow next to the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.

The "Recover Text from Any File" converter has limitations. For example, document formatting is lost. Additionally, graphics, fields, drawing objects, and any other items that are not text are lost. However, field text, headers, footers, footnotes, and endnotes are retained as simple text.

1. In Word 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open.
    In Word 2010, click the File Menu, and then click Open.
    3. In the Files of type box, click Recover Text from Any File(*.*).
    4. Click the document from which you want to recover the text.
    5. Click Open.

After the document is recovered by using the "Recover Text from Any File" converter, there is some binary data text that is not converted. This text is primarily at the start and end of the document. You must delete this binary data text before you save the file as a Word document.

Also read comments here:
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/172/t/269739.aspx