Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint Apps Redesigned With Simplified Three-Tab Layout on iPhone

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today updated its Word, Excel, and PowerPoint apps for the iPhone with a simplified three-tab layout.

The three tabs include Home, New, and Open:
  • Home: Sign in to your Microsoft account and view recent documents, spreadsheets, or presentations
  • New: Create a new document, spreadsheet, or presentation with various templates to choose from
  • Open: Open an existing document, spreadsheet, or presentation stored on your iPhone, in the Files app, or on a supported cloud service
The redesigned Word, Excel, and PowerPoint apps are available on the App Store.

Microsoft recently introduced a new Office app for iOS that provides access to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint through a single app with a smaller download size. The app remains in beta testing via TestFlight.

Article Link: Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint Apps Redesigned With Simplified Three-Tab Layout on iPhone

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Yeah if it’s not free like Google docs you can keep it. I’m not paying for that to have on my iOS.

There might be those whose jobs would require it and for business but for me not worth it.

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
MS office is the best productivity package in the world. I hope they would bring the full set of features to the iPad.

You still cannot create/edit graphs in Excel, change the source of data and many other limitations. I am a paid user and I do it with pleasure on my computer, but on my mobile devices Google apps offer more functions and pretty much the same compatibility.

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
Did ms finally hire a UI design team that understands simple and straightforward? I thought their corporate paradigm was convoluted and obtuse? Time will tell
Actually yes,
This guy, as of this month he is also head of design for Microsoft Corp from leading the Office Design team for the past bit

MacBH928

macrumors 68040
May 17, 2008
Office365 for the family gives us,

1TB storage per family member
  • Enterprise grade email security
  • No ads
  • Information privacy.
  • Office365 cross platform/multiple devices
Personally, I think its a great deal.
What makes you think Microsoft does not snoop on your data, collect it, create a profile on you, track you, and then share it?

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
Excel has issues on iphone 8 it freezes when you open the app
No it doesn’t?

I mean, it probably does for you, but it’s certainly not a global issue for everyone with an iphone 8.
- - Post merged: - -

MS office is the best productivity package in the world. I hope they would bring the full set of features to the iPad.

You still cannot create/edit graphs in Excel, change the source of data and many other limitations. I am a paid user and I do it with pleasure on my computer, but on my mobile devices Google apps offer more functions and pretty much the same compatibility.
I agree that it will be nice when iPad Excel (and word) remove some of these limitations. But Google apps are certainly not all that compatible if you are doing anything moderately complicated, and the interface is not great. I run into incompatible documents all the time.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
What makes you think Microsoft does not snoop on your data, collect it, create a profile on you, track you, and then share it?
Apple tracks you too, and they can use your data for purposes that might not include selling. Is this not a possibility?

I use Microsoft office 365 for a few years already and unsurprisingly only 10% feature set is used on daily basis, but still not a bad package. Plus I get business grade support.

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah if it’s not free like Google docs you can keep it. I’m not paying for that to have on my iOS.

There might be those whose jobs would require it and for business but for me not worth it.
The tone of your comment has struct me the wrong way. Screams of entitlement (sorry!)

You realize that "Google anything" is not free, right? You may not be paying cash, but you're still paying with something.... your eyeballs, your identity, your email, your search interests. It all has value.

Let's not forget that this software has real value. Another word for business is "trade", with roots back to the old days where you didn't pay with cash, but you traded something that you had for something you needed.

Nobody truly owns software other than the creator/maintainer. We only purchase a license to use it. Sometimes that purchase price may be $0, but we are still agreeing to the licensing terms by using the software.

• No ads
  • Information privacy.
You might want to review the Agreement here.

Specifically:

The Privacy Statement also describes how Microsoft uses your content, which is your communications with others; postings submitted by you to Microsoft via the Services; and the files, photos, documents, audio, digital works, livestreams and videos that you upload, store, broadcast or share through the Services ("Your Content").
and...

b. To the extent necessary to provide the Services to you and others, to protect you and the Services, and to improve Microsoft products and services, you grant to Microsoft a worldwide and royalty-free intellectual property license to use Your Content, for example, to make copies of, retain, transmit, reformat, display, and distribute via communication tools Your Content on the Services.
By using cloud-based services from Microsoft, they automatically get a copy of your data to do with as they please, including your documents and photo uploads.

Last edited:

robsp2000

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005
By using cloud-based services from Microsoft, they automatically get a copy of your data to do with as they please, including your documents and photo uploads.
So I guess cloud based services is out for anyone with confidential content?

konqerror

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2013
So I guess cloud based services is out for anyone with confidential content?
You get what you pay for. Commercial cloud services, like Office 365, G Suite, and Amazon Web Services, have much stronger protections and outside audits and disclosure of who's getting your data, and meet legal requirements like HIPAA.

Your confidential data is already in the cloud, I guarantee it. Corporate use of Azure and AWS is universal.

Reactions: NaimNut

NaimNut

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Toronto
MS is by far the preferred choice when security and privacy are the top consideration. There's a reason enterprises and governments the world over rely on their hybrid and cloud offerings. Apple is the runner-up. Google doesn't compete. Especially if using their free services. They are an Ad company.

Everyone collects your data. Difference is the Ad company Google uses your info as revenue from other companies.

Last edited:

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o

• No ads
  • Information privacy.
MS is by far the preferred choice when security and privacy are the top consideration. There's a reason enterprises and governments the world over rely on their hybrid and cloud offerings. Apple is the runner-up. Google doesn't compete. Especially if using their free services. They are an Ad company.

Everyone collects your data. Difference is the Ad company Google uses your info as revenue from other companies.
You get what you pay for. Commercial cloud services, like Office 365, G Suite, and Amazon Web Services, have much stronger protections and outside audits and disclosure of who's getting your data, and meet legal requirements like HIPAA.

Your confidential data is already in the cloud, I guarantee it. Corporate use of Azure and AWS is universal.
Sounds like you guys are confusing the business versions of O365/M365 and the consumer (home/personal), OneDrive personal wasn't even encrypted at rest until recently, Microsoft still scans all the OneDrive personal files with a more relaxed policy for encryption key access. That enterprise grade email security aka "Exchange Online Protection" isn't even a feature of O365 Home, which is one of the reasons the home/personal versions don't meet most of the regulatory/legal requirements for various policies including those for HIPAA.

NaimNut

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Toronto
Sounds like you guys are confusing the business versions of O365/M365 and the consumer (home/personal), OneDrive personal wasn't even encrypted at rest until recently, Microsoft still scans all the OneDrive personal files with a more relaxed policy for encryption key access. That enterprise grade email security aka "Exchange Online Protection" isn't even a feature of O365 Home, which is one of the reasons the home/personal versions don't meet most of the regulatory/legal requirements for various policies including those for HIPAA.
Good enough for me and my family members and better than what the free Google accounts offer.

Clips from MS’s site

Premium security
Protect your files and photos against digital attacks with OneDrive ransomware detection and recovery.

OneDrive Personal Vault
You can use your fingerprint, face or PIN as an extra layer of protection for your documents, photos and videos, so they stay extra safe and secure and accessible on all your devices

Office 365 Personal subscription.

• Advanced email security. As an Office 365 subscriber, you get enhanced security tools that help protect your inbox from phishing and malware. Learn more about advanced Outlook.com security for Office 365 subscribers.
  • Email encryption. Outlook.com includes encryption and prevent forwarding features that ensure your confidential and personal information you share via email stays encrypted and doesn’t leave Office 365. This is useful when you don’t trust the recipient’s email provider to be secure. Learn more about encrypted messages here.
  • Ad-free interface. Office 365 subscribers enjoy an ad-free Outlook.com mailbox. Without ads, you have less distractions and enjoy faster page load times.
  • Larger mailbox storage. Office 365 subscribers get 50 GB of email storage as a subscription benefit. You'll have 50 GB of email storage at your disposal.
Like I said, all for $100 bucks a year for up to six family members is a bargain imo.

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
Good enough for me and my family members and better than what the free Google accounts offer.

Clips from MS’s site

Premium security
Protect your files and photos against digital attacks with OneDrive ransomware detection and recovery.

OneDrive Personal Vault
You can use your fingerprint, face or PIN as an extra layer of protection for your documents, photos and videos, so they stay extra safe and secure and accessible on all your devices

Office 365 Personal subscription.

• Advanced email security. As an Office 365 subscriber, you get enhanced security tools that help protect your inbox from phishing and malware. Learn more about advanced Outlook.com security for Office 365 subscribers.
  • Email encryption. Outlook.com includes encryption and prevent forwarding features that ensure your confidential and personal information you share via email stays encrypted and doesn’t leave Office 365. This is useful when you don’t trust the recipient’s email provider to be secure. Learn more about encrypted messages here.
  • Ad-free interface. Office 365 subscribers enjoy an ad-free Outlook.com mailbox. Without ads, you have less distractions and enjoy faster page load times.
  • Larger mailbox storage. Office 365 subscribers get 50 GB of email storage as a subscription benefit. You'll have 50 GB of email storage at your disposal.
Like I said, all for $100 bucks a year for up to six family members is a bargain imo.
Yeah. Compare it with adobe creative cloud, if you don’t think it’s a decent value.