Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
Hi all

Just tried to edit a document on word only to find the lag on it is so severe it makes the document editing completely impossible.

I’ve tried closing and reinstalling the app with no luck.

Any ideas?

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
Which model of iPad are you using? Is it an old one?

IPad Pro 2018.

I think I’ve fixed it now. Saved locally on the ipad.

I launched it direct from an email and that seemed to slow it to a crawl. Once i saved it to files it seems to be ok.

Mega annoying though. Why would it do that?

G4RHL

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2016
I notice the Word slowdown has been reported here. Anybody found a solution? I am using an iPad Pro 11, the latest model. After typing in Word for awhile it slows down, I have to wait for the typed characters to appear. At first I thought it was the length of the document but it isn’t. I can go some days and it is not an issue, then suddenly it starats up. I have tried editing all apps deleting Word, hard reset and then install afresh but the problem comes back. Only in Word and not in any other programme. It makes it unusable. Yet if I start again tomorrow in the same document the issue is gone for awhile. No problem in Notes, OneNote or Pages. Just Word. Anybody found a solution?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Same issue here for me. Had to modify it on my laptop... I sent some Microsoft some feedback, hopefully they resolve it in some update.

G4RHL

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2016
Searching the internet it appears this has been a problem for a few years although for me it has only raised its head in the last 6 months or so.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Searching the internet it appears this has been a problem for a few years although for me it has only raised its head in the last 6 months or so.
Do you have a OneDrive account attached? Could it be wireless backup to OneDrive that's slowing?

G4RHL

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2016
No. Backups go to iCloud. This does seem to be an issue that first arose a few years ago although for me only relatively recently.

G4RHL

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2016
I started to use Pages because of the Word problem but I find this also goes slow after a bit but nowhere near as slow as Word does. The latter is chronic.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
From my experience working with a local file reduces the appearance of this problem dramatically. Working with files located on OneDrive&Co. slows things down on some point in time.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
If it ain’t android that’s lagging, it’s Microsoft ?‍♂️?

Wonder what we’d do if apple didn’t make software. ?

G4RHL

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2016
I changed to using Pages instead. I still find the lag is there when the document is bigger but not as bad as Word.

G4RHL

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2016
From my experience working with a local file reduces the appearance of this problem dramatically. Working with files located on OneDrive&Co. slows things down on some point in time.
I was working with a local file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.