Microsoft Word Files to Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ray&Paula, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Ray&Paula macrumors regular

Hi, I'm about to receive a new 2016 15" MacBook Pro and would like to migrate my Microsoft Word files off my PC. I know about Migrate Assistant in which I plan on using. I don't see any clear information on this subject anywhere. I'm sure I could do so if I wanted a subscription with Office 365 for Mac but, I don't want a monthly subscription service. I did see a one time install for one Mac for $110.00. This install stated that you would not be able to update it down the road. I have a few questions;
    1) Being new to Mac, are there any other alternatives?
    2) Is Pages and/or Notes similar? If so, would Word transfer into them properly?
    Any help and/or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you. Ray

2. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

free option is libre office although some formatting may be lost in the conversion.

I used it in past and not lost anything but it will mess up files with inserted images.
    Your can sort out the formatting manually.

I use office 2011 for mac, and was using office 2003 on my pc with the docx patch.
    so yes true if buy 2011 thats what you got but I not paying for renewal every year either so bought 2011 used on ebay.

3. rctlr macrumors 6502a

Pages will import and export Word Documents. There is a chance of some formatting issues, just like LibreOffice.

4. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help....... I'm currently using Word 2007. I wouldn't care about the ugrading for the years ahead if Word for Mac worked well. Lots of mixed reviews aiming towards a variety of issues/problems. If Pages imports the Word documents as you stated, I may try that first. I'll take a look at LibreOffice as well. Thanks again for your help, I sincerely appreciate it. Ray

5. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

Word for mac 2011 works well for me but I use excel more.

2011 on ebay for £18 going up for digital download.
    Some sellers have the actual disc too if you prefer that option.

6. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks... I'll check out the disc option as you mentioned.
    I just came across the following on the Apple site in regards to Pages.
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202227
    It states that Word can be imported as rctlr stated. My Word documents are formatted as .docx. I'll give it a try once I get my MacBook Pro (2 to 3 weeks). Thanks for all your help........ You folks are awesome. Ray

7. hanser macrumors regular

Try Pages, I like it a lot and I have no problems working with .doc files.

8. Ray&Paula, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016

Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

That's good to hear..... Do you have any tips for transferring? Thanks, Ray

9. hanser macrumors regular

No, just open the document and at the end export as .doc or share as .doc e.g. via mail.

10. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, Thank you. Ray

11. dwig macrumors 6502

I've been using LibreOffice quite successfully (PowerMac early 2009 running Mavericks) for both DOC and DOCX files from MS Word along with XLS and XLSX files from MS Excel. I have encountered a few rare DOCX files with clumsy formatting that fail to open retaining the formating accurately, but those are always fixable.

There seem to be some image "editing" that MS Word can do that creates a DOCX that looses the image when opened in OpenOffice or LibreOffice. The last one I encounted wouldn't even open correctly in the online Office suite (https://www.office.com/ It's a bit feature limited, but the price is right). I had to open it on a Windows copy of Word 2013 and export as DOC to get a file that would then open in LibreOffice with the image, though the image lacked some of the alterations present in the original DOCX file. Reopening the DOC in Word 2013 showed that the lost alterations were a result of the DOCX>DOC conversion in Word 2013 and not in LibreOffice's reading of the DOC file.

In general, though, I've found LibreOffice and excellent substitute for MS Office and I use it regularly on both a Windows 10 box at home and on several Macs at work. The only copy of MS Office that I still run (rarely) is the Word 2013 that came with my Dell 8" Windows tablet.

12. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Great to hear......... Thanks for the info. Ray