Microsoft WORD for MAC

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Hey all. I am just musing on the issue of Word for the Mac (or Office).

Just realized that my 1994 Powerbook ran Word at about the same speed as did my first 2001 400mhz Titanium Powerbook

and Word runs the same speed on a G5 iMac 2.0ghz
and Word runs the same speed on a 1.5ghz Powerbook.

SO what gives? I'll bet it runs the same on Intel Macs, too. For my purposes, Word is my most important app.

Why is it so slow? And will EvilSoft stop Mac support after 2007?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I believe that the Mac version of Office is MS' third most profitable product, so I don't see them dropping it any time soon.

ddekker

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2006
Michigan
speed

I have often wondered things like this, I can say I notice office to run poorly on my mac, but it does seem the same speed on all my macs from old and slow to newer faster machines. I am a recent switcher from Windoz, but I often wondered why things like Calculator take as long to fire on new wicked machines or 10 year old win 95 machines... its the most basic of software, i doubt it has been re-written, so logic tells me it should fire faster on a faster machine...hmmm.. well I write about things like this on my blog quite often... check it out sometime

D

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I've never thought Word (or any of Office) was slow. I am not exactly what you mean by 'slow' anyway. It doesn't open very fast? Or compared the the Windows counterpart? I think NeoOffice sucks.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
Word on my MBP (with 2GB RAM) runs slower than on my IBM ThinkPad T42 with 1.25GB of RAM. But I put up with it because of Rosetta (which is supposed to see some updates/kinks worked out in 10.4.8) and the fact that I get more out of the Mac, in general, than I do out of the IBM (because of the OS).

Microsoft has said they are working on Office 2007 for the Mac, so it is definitely not disappearing. I think Apple should make a suite comparable to Office (iWork doesn't count).