Microsoft word got to love it.....

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by trainguy77, Mar 11, 2008.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Frustrating what word sometimes can do.....

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

I just left it in the background. Then realized all my cpu was being eaten up. What has been your guys luck with office 2008? I heard it had some problems and its not worth upgrading yet. Is that still the case? I would love to get off the PPC version.....

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have to keep Office 2004 around since we have a lot of VBA stuff running here. Not to mention Equation Editor always sucks when a new version comes out until they patch it to death. We had the same problem moving to 2004 from V.x.

I like Office 2008 though since I'm not held back by legacy components. I haven't had any issues with it yet but I look at the Console and it still has some teething issues. No random lets eat all the CPU time like that.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Unless the update today fixed it, I thought the PPC version was more stable... :eek:

6. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah i don't use equation editor or anything like that. I will probably buy a copy soon. I won't be forced to until people starting switching to 2007. Most places haven't switched over yet.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sadly, I've had several users get Office 2007 documents from their peers. They know to (politely) remind them to always convert them to Office 97-2003 compatible formats.

Office applications are still painfully slow to load since it's a feature and plug-in fest. I have lots of RAM and a good drive but it's SLOW...

8. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah i am not looking forward to having to upgrade all the systems at work to office 2007. But its going to have to happen soon. :(

9. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

10. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

Word. Unless MS Office has some features you just absolutely need (that are lacking in Pages), you should just ditch it and try out iWork.

11. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

How has compatibility been with moving word documents back and forth?

12. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I don't move Word documents back and forth. Sometimes I move PDF documents back and forth, and that's always flawless.

For most people, it just depends on how much special formatting there is. If it's very complicated, it'll get messed up. If not, it's transparent.

13. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I move documents in and out of Pages (convert to Word) and its been smooth as silk.

Keynote just rocks...I'll never use Powerpoint ever again. iWork overall is pretty damn good.