Microsoft word:keeps on hanging

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ronald2009mac, Jan 1, 2010.

1. ronald2009mac macrumors newbie

I have 2008 microsoft office running on my Macbook Pro. I was wondering why microsoft word keeps on hanging. I was guessing this is unreasonable and very strange because of the very small file i was working on, 20 pages of pure text only. When an error was encountered it says something like -- "microsoft word encountered a problem and it needs to be closed. Sorry for the inconvenience." Also, sometimes it says something like -- "low memory". It was shocking coz how did this problem occur since I have 4GB MB...Thanks

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Did you run the software updates on Office 2008? There may be a bug that got fixed and is causing Word to hang.

Another thing you can try is to use another program (ie Open Office or Google Docs) and see if it works. If so, then try to save the file as a .doc (not .docx) and see if that gets Word to open the file without crashing.

Hope this helps.

3. ronald2009mac thread starter macrumors newbie

I can save and open the word file in .doc...How to run the software updates?Shall I download from the internet? thanks.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You should have the Microsoft AutoUpdate program in your Applications Folder. Use that. A screen will pop up telling you that no updates are available, or it will just start downloading ones you don't have. The program looks at what you have in your Microsoft Folder in Applications to determine if you have all available updates or not.

5. ronald2009mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Still hanging...

Thank you...I have run the auto-updates. I thought it was already okay since I was able to work for an hour. Unfortunately, it still keeps on hanging. This time word hangs almost immediately after opening a file...I don't know what to do now. I dont want to be disappointed with Mac so I hope I can solve this problem with your help.It really gives me trouble.Cheers.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

preferences problem?

I have OS 10.5.8
    The locations below might be different if you have another OS version.

Look for this file
    com.microsoft.Word.prefs.plist
    Mine is in Users/MyUserName/Library/Preferences/Microsoft

And look for this file
    com.microsoft.Word.plist
    Mine is in Users/MyUserName/Library/Preferences

I have both, but I think the first one is the "active" one.

Get out of Word.
    Move that file to your Desktop. Don't delete it, yet.
    Now fire up Word. This should create a new plist file back in that last folder. (Check to be sure.)
    Is the problem gone?

If not, try that second file, if you have it.
    Same procedure...

If not fixed, you can move those files back. This will restore preferences you might have changed in one easy step. But, you still have a problem. If so, post your results and we can try the next step.

7. ej10 macrumors newbie

I am having the same problems as ronald2009mac, except mine is hanging and becomes unresponsive on saving. I am new to the mac and am also trying to like it. I moved the file that you suggested (I didn't have the first file) to the desktop, but still have problems. can you suggest something else? thanks.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yep. Since that didn't help, login under a different user account. Test it again. Post the result here. Good luck!

9. PedroTheBrave macrumors newbie

Don't you hate it when people just say "yeah I have the same problem" but don't add any value? Well, apologies in advance but I have the same problem. It occurs on closing after a save, or closing after "printing" (i.e. saving the file) as a pdf document. Never used to happen but has been the case for the last couple of months. No idea what caused it (an update?!).

Doesn't happen 100% of the time with Word, prob 80%, and has only once happened with Excel but I use that less.

Can't force quit the app, and can't shut down the computer (always timesout as it cannot quit Word - shock), so only solution is holding the on/off button on the back of the monitor to hard reset Mac. Not ideal.

I am the only user of my Mac - there are no other user accounts, so I cannot do what is advised above. Really annoying situation so would love advice on a solution. Thank you!

Mac OS X, ver 10.5.8; Processor 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory: 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Microsoft office for Mac 2008.

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes you can! Create one to use for just such an occasion. Mine is named Troubleshooting. It doesn't get used, so I presume it remains "clean".

Did you also try the plist strategy above? Can't tell. My mind reader is down. ;)

11. PedroTheBrave macrumors newbie

Sorry for lack of feedback but I have been away. Moved the file and will report feedback in a week or so.

One question on setting up a new user account though - if you are using Word with other apps (e.g. mail/internet) wouldn't it be inconvenient to run them on a "Troubleshooting" user account also? And in some cases that user account would mirror your own account, with the same apps running and preferences, which suggests the same problems will exist. Or am I missing something?

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Your apps should be in the "Hard Drive"/Applications folder, to make them available to all users. Each User has a separate Library/Preferences folder, and thus separate plist files.

13. g3powerbook boy macrumors member

Yes, you can use microsoft office on your mac, but why would you want too, its from the same company that makes windows crapola. I would use open office if i was you. and stay far away from anything microsoft makes, actually isn't that why you got a mac to start with? I know thats why i am now loyal to apple microsoft is crapola! :apple:

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You might check out your fonts. Word can have problems if you have any corrupt fonts, and can load slowly if you have a large number of fonts.
    MS Word was running on Macs 5 years before it ran on Windows. MS Office 2008 works just fine on Mac OS X. Many of us need the compatibility to share documents with Windows users, and many of us use more advanced Excel features that don't exist on Open Office or Numbers. You may not like Microsoft, but that's a poor reason for choosing software appropriate to the task at hand.

15. PedroTheBrave macrumors newbie

ok - had the problem again today, first time since moving the plist file, when trying to save and then close a document quickly (possibly too quickly - ie before it had finished saving). The file saved ok but the app hung and did not close even when trying a forced close.

This was after I changed the dictionary from English (US) to English (UK) - in other words something that *should* affect the plist file (as it is a preference? I am guessing here.) No idea whether that was a coincidence or a reason for the stumble. Will investigate....

16. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I use both MS Office and free OpenOffice and increasingly I favour the free-ware, which I only downloaded because my wife uses at work as they got fed up with MS Office.