Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glassyman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Hi guys,

I'm using Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac, and for whatever reason, the formatting toolbars don't want to stay in the arrangement that I set them in.

When I open Word, I get the blank screen, with basically no toolbars like the main ones such as font, bold, etc. Even though formatting is "checked" in the toolbars section.

This is what I see at first.

http://img.skitch.com/20100617-k7eaw41w2cxmqygktpbj8xbbph.jpg

After I unclick the formatting, then reclick it again, and mess around with it for awhile everything shows up fine, like the pic below.

http://img.skitch.com/20100617-fu64wa7ijm5xakkydtxwhp6uje.jpg

Once I close Word, everything reverts basic to the basics with no formatting or toolbars visible, despite being checked off under toolbars. Even if I open a new document it's just the basics. Such a pain!

Any suggestions would be great!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Word > View > Customize Toolbars and Menus > Toolbars and Menus

check the toolbars you want to show

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok thanks. I got it to at least stay, still a bit choppy this way. Not quite sure it won't put the toolbars onto the word doc but whatever.

http://img.skitch.com/20100617-e3b1sqkk114462mtg6yt6r3fkf.jpg

Right-click on a toolbar:
Picture 2.jpg

glassyman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
When I do that it reverts back to the original image with no toolbars, basically they disappear. Weird, but undocking them in the customize section is how I can see them after closing word.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
When I do that it reverts back to the original image with no toolbars, basically they disappear. Weird, but undocking them in the customize section is how I can see them after closing word.

You have to right-click on the toolbar in a space where there's no icon.

1. Go to Word > View > Customize Toolbars and Menus > Toolbars and Menus
  2. Check the toolbar you want to add.
  3. Close the Toolbars and Menus window
  4. Right-click on an empty space on the toolbar, not on an icon
    Picture 4.jpg
  5. Select "Dock Toolbar in Window"
    Picture 5.jpg
  6. The toolbar is now docked.
    Picture 6.jpg

glassyman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've come to the conclusion, word hates me. :)

Try doing them one toolbar at a time. In other words, close all toolbars, then add one and see if you can dock it, before you go back and check to add another toolbar.

jeahrens

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Same issue - any answer?

I am having the exact same issue! I tried everything on this string, but the Standard and Formatting toolbars will not stay. When I open Word, they are gone. I've set them in these ways:

1. View > Toolbars > and both Standard and Formatting are already checked (note: the only way I can get it to show up is to uncheck them and then recheck them)
2. Right clicked on the toolbar (after getting it to temporarily show up using the method above) and selecting Dock toolbar in Windows
3. View > Customize Toolbars and Menu's > Clicking on Standard and Formatting (which are already selected).

Any answers? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.