Microsoft Word on Mac Invalid Product Key

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rachelwhitney92, Jan 27, 2011.

1. rachelwhitney92 macrumors newbie

*sigh* ok...I've looked everywhere online for information on what to do, and tried several things but it just isn't working so I thought I'd ask here....
    I bought my mac used on ebay last year. Came preinstalled with Microsoft Office 2008. The Mac works great, I love it, and so has Office until just a couple days ago I tried to open WORD and it tells me that the product key is invalid and must be tried again or whatever. It takes me to a link where it shows me how to delete certain files from Office so that I can reinstall and type the key in again, but I try that and nothing works plus I do not have the key because Office was already installed when I got the computer! What can I do and why is office 'suddenly' realizing the key is invalid? Help would be SO APPRECIATED!!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you didn't receive the Office DVD with the computer then it's likely that you received a pirated copy of Office. I believe that it occasionally tries to verify the product key, and that's likely what's happened in this case.

You may be able to get a licensed copy of Office cheap through Microsoft as I believe that they sometimes offer special deals to people that have been stung by piracy (although this offer may vary by country).