Microsoft Word = Poor Battery Life?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DougFNJ, Jan 5, 2016.

1. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I recently purchased the new rMB 1.2 512. So far I have been enjoying it.

Using Word on battery, I notice it depletes pretty quickly. 20 minutes of work yesterday in Starbucks and I was down from 100% to 80%. Word was still open in sleep, a few hours later, opened it and it was at 67% in sleep mode. Battery shows Word was using the power. Is anyone else having this problem?

2. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I haven't noticed that much battery drain and I use Word fairly frequently.

3. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

That is not my experience. Check Activity Monitor and see if Word is using a lot of CPU. If it is, you might be in a mode of Word that is CPU intensive.

4. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Office 2016 is wayyyyy more CPU intensive than Office 2011 for some reason. I regularly can hit 40%/50% CPU usage on Office 2016 programmes, office 2011 is generally way more efficient and I average 10/20%.

I thought it was my Mac(s) that were playing up, so I went to the Apple store, and I noticed the same thing across the range of their MacBook products.

I've gone back to Office 2011. It's cleaner, more efficient and better on battery life.

(For those that don't believe me, run Office updater and see your CPU usage go to 100/200%. I dare you.)