Microsoft Word to PDF (not via "Print as PDF")

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by katanna, Apr 16, 2008.

1. katanna macrumors 6502

katanna

I have been composing my resume in Word (2004) and have links to different videos that I have done.

In the past I had created a PDF via the AMAZING "Print as PDF" feature in OS X. However, I recently realized that when you "print" a document it drops the hyperlinks, just leaving blue text with an underline. It looks like a link, but when you click on it nothing happens.

Is there any way to save from Word to PDF? I have done a lot of searching but have not found anything.

Thanks!

Matthew

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You can open the .doc in Pages and do 'Export > PDF'

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Hyperlinks work fine when I Print to PDF from Safari. Seeing as it is an OS feature not an application feature I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

What version of Mac OS X are you running?

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Acrobat installs a PDF making toolbar in Word 2004.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Doesn't work in Word, though.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Wow, how did Microsoft manage to break a standard OS feature?

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

with lots of care and attention :rolleyes:

8. katanna thread starter macrumors 6502

katanna

I don't have Pages =: <

I am running the latest version of Leopard.

Do you mean the full version of Acrobat? Is there a free download for this?

Is there any free application that will allow me to open a PDF and edit the hyperlinks? (I don't think I can do it in Preview)

Thanks guys! Glad to know I am not the only one that this happens to...

Matthew

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

ready your resume, then download the 30 day trial of iWork.

10. katanna thread starter macrumors 6502

katanna

Actually, my original resume was in Pages on a trial. That was a few years ago. I went back a few months later to update it... and couldn't. Had to retype everything into Word, and copy the formatting over into Word. It worked out, but was a hassle.

Matthew

11. mach42006 macrumors member

Since someone mentioned the PDF toolbar...

I have the toolbar...it's called 'Adobe Acrobat PDFMaker 8' and it has two little PDF buttons, one to create PDF, the other to create and email. These buttons don't work though. I click on the PDF icon and nothing happens. I started out with Tiger and Office 04 when I bought my computer back in October, but the toolbar didn't function from the beginning. Then I upgraded to Leopard, the PDF toolbar still didn't work. Then not too long ago, I upgraded to Office 08, and alas, my PDF toolbar still does not work. Since we're on the topic of the PDF toolbar, anybody know why it might not be working?

12. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If you download NeoOffice, which is free, you can open .doc files. It has an Export to PDF function that, I believe, keeps the hyperlinks. Actually, I believe Print to PDF from NeoOffice keeps them as well. I kind of remember testing to make sure some time back, but my memory of the results are a little hazy and I am not in front of my Mac right now. The only problem is it may alter the appearance of your file a bit, it is not 100% compatible. Most of the time it does well, but every now and then I notice that it cannot fit all of the lines into one page as Word does, but needs two more lines on the next page.

13. cazlar macrumors 6502

I thought opening the .doc in TextEdit and printing to PDF was worth a shot, but I just tried it and it doesn't work well. Pages does work fine though.

14. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Hi,
    I've just created a .doc in Word, incorporating a few email addresses and web addresses. As you say they appeared in blue and underlined.
    I then went to File>Print and clicked the "PDF" box lower left corner and then clicked on "Save as PDF"

The resulting PDF file had all the links, printed in blue and underlined - and they worked, when clicked on....

15. katanna thread starter macrumors 6502

katanna

What version of OS X and Office do you have?

Matthew

16. John T macrumors 68020

John T

OS 10.4.11
    Word 2004 version 11.3.8