Microsoft Word

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mikey-, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Mikey- macrumors regular

Hi, my mum has been doing some work from home and really is just typing documents, she is using Microsoft word on my iMac, I am still using my trial but when it runs out I am going to need to buy it. I have been looking to see how much it would cost be and it will be about £90 for all the applications (excel, powerpoint ect) but I really dont want to be paying over £90 for one application I am going to use.

Is there anyway I can just purchase Microsoft Word?

Thanks,
    Mikey

2. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

It's probably more cost effective to buy a used copy of Office 2004. There are probably a bunch of people out there willing to sell theirs after upgrading to 2008. 2004 would likely serve your needs quite well enough.

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

The most cost-effective is to download NeoOffice. If she's just typing up Word documents, there's no reason to get anything more than NeoOffice. It's a free, open-source office suite. It can read and natively save as Word .doc and .docx files just fine.

Alternatively, iWork is much cheaper ($79) than MS Office. It can open your Word documents, but if you don't want to have to re-export them each time, you'll just have to resave as .pages documents. It's a step up from NeoOffice, and personally I prefer it to MS Office.

But for your needs, it sounds like NeoOffice should be more than enough.

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

As kuwisdelu just stated NeoOffice sounds like your best bet,its abit ugly IMHO but its a great free prog

5. seeker777 macrumors member

seeker777

In the U.S., the Apple Store sells a "student version" of the MS Office Suite for $99 (~£50), which has all the apps. Perhaps the U.K. also offers?

6. Glenny2lappies macrumors 6502

It's the whole Office or nothing.

The free options aren't bad and are well worth looking into if it's just lightweight usage.

Also there's Apple's iWork which is about half the price. It will import and export to Word, although not perfectly.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

sure, at least in the USA you can buy Word 2008 as a single application.

It's not cheap, but you can buy it. Apple sells it through the USA online store, so look at the UK online store to see if you can get it there. Here a link to the US store so you can see what you're looking for; Word 2008