Microsoft word

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kaldama, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Kaldama macrumors member

guys i bought my microsoft word fo Mac in Japan and the menu language in the program is Japanese. Is there any way i can change it to english ?

2. Kaldama thread starter macrumors member

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Unfortunately, I don't believe so.

However, I am more familiar with the PC side of the house when it comes to the Microsoft Office suite. In the Windows case, you either purchase an English version or a Japanese version. Both can use and display English and Japanese. But menu wise you are locked into the version that you purchased.

In the FWIW department, on the Windows side:

Office Professional: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.

Office Professional (J): Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

There are some other differences, but Access is a big difference between the English and Japanese versions of Office Professional.

If you like to go back and forth between Japanese and English menus, then iWork with Pages may be a better option for you.

4. Kaldama thread starter macrumors member

thanks man, i also thought so, but wanted to check here first. Actually i have no problem with the menu being in Japanese. I speak the language and it doesn`t bother me, but a friend of mine who doesnt speak jap wanted to install it on his mac.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If your friend has a Mac, then what he might consider doing is setting up two User IDs; one English and the other one Japanese.

That way he can Switch to the User ID that suites his situation. One word of caution, if you are using fast switching, you can only have Pages opened under one User ID.

FWIW, for fun to demonstrate multi-language capability of the Mac OS, I create a few User IDs such as Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, French and English. Then I do fast switching between them with at least one application running natively in the language of the User ID. Pretty cool demo.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Have you tried adding the English language from the Finder's File/Get Info dialog box?

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

AFAIK, that will only work for displayed languages in the document but not for the Menu language.

If someone knows different, please tell us. TIA.

8. Kaldama thread starter macrumors member

MisterMe, yes I did, but that doesnt work for the menu language