Microsoft Words 2011 14.5.6 format problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pat500000, Oct 8, 2015.

1. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

For those who have updated their office 2011: Did you guys have problem with document setting? What i mean is that whenever I start a new document or start up the current documents, the document window appears on the left. It will never be in the middle when you start the program.

I did the route thing: deleting plist., and going to user folder of word and delete normal.dotm.
    So what now? How do you resolve this?

2. pat500000 thread starter macrumors 604

pat500000

So i'm guessing nobody had this problem? Really?

3. iMac-Do-You? macrumors member

Just updated my copy of Office to 14.5.6, and can confirm I don't have this issue.
    However I did a fresh install of El Capitan and Office a few days ago, so that may make a difference.

4. pat500000 thread starter macrumors 604

pat500000

Fresh install? hmm okay. Thanks! I'll that. Thank you.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Do you mean that the new document window is partly off the left edge of the screen - so you don't see the complete window? And the window control widgets (red, yellow, green buttons) are out of view?
    What is the result in that window when you go to the Window menu, then click Zoom?

6. pat500000 thread starter macrumors 604

pat500000

It's within the monitor..and it's not partial off the left edge...it's on the left edge of the screen.

Attached Files:

7. pat500000 thread starter macrumors 604

pat500000

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The new blank document is centered in the Word window... ?

New Word window flush in the top left corner is how I see it.
    This is how I always expect Word to work.
    How is what you see different from what you want?

Ah, I see... A New document window does not overlap. It just starts in the far top left corner. I positioned an existing Word document window in that corner, then created a New document, and the new window still went in the top left corner, with no overlap of the Word window that it was covering.

Adding a second blank Word window, overlaps normally. (positioned down and right, enough to leave the window widgets visible.)
    I seldom make several new documents at the same time, but I can see what you mean now. The new documents ignore documents that are already in place.
    My fix is to - move the document window where I want it. That might not be a complete fix for you, but I move windows around all the time, and don't particularly pay attention to where the windows start out (until you pointed that out to me :D ).

Are you sure that Word opened New document windows differently prior to ver. 14.5.6?

9. pat500000 thread starter macrumors 604

pat500000

:D HAHA i'm NOT CRAZY!! Seriously...i think it has something to do with normal.dotm file...but I don't know. it's too late for me to revert back with TM. From previous version, i was able to move it around and quit. When I load up the file...it will start where i left off. HAHA

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I can _resize_ the new document window, then move it to a different position on the screen.
    Quit, then re-open. The new document comes up with the changed size, but the position is still in top left corner.
    So, the "problem" (again, I don't consider it an issue) I see is the same as what you see.

I have two Macs with Office 2011, one with El Capitan, and an older one with Lion. Both do the same. I have special settings on the older one, custom fonts and other settings, and I don't share any Word docs between the two Macs, the settings, and normal.dotm files are very different. The only setting on both that will not stay is changing the position of the new document window. So, I don't think the issue is part of the normal.dotm settings.

11. pat500000 thread starter macrumors 604

pat500000

Hmm..i wonder what it is then. I just sent a feed to MS...hopefully they will take a look at it.

12. newellj macrumors 601

Just read through your thread and looked at the pic. My copy of 14.5.6 does not do that.

13. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

What do you mean by "that"?
    Do you mean that you can drag a New, blank document to another screen position (away from the top left corner), then Quit Word, Reopen, get a New document window, and the new window is NOT in the top left corner.
    Your New document now opens in the position where you last moved it (and not in the top left corner of the screen?)

14. pat500000 thread starter macrumors 604

pat500000

Are you sure? If so, mine must be a glitch. You should try it out. Start the app with updated version. You will see the word document will appear on top left corner. When you move the the window to the center of the monitor and open 2nd new document...you will see that it will not overlap from your current position (1st window) but will appear on top left corner.

15. newellj macrumors 601

It's possible I'm misunderstanding, but yes, I'm pretty sure mine isn't doing what you describe. Open Word/new doc, appears near upper LH corner. Move to center of display, open new blank window: new blank doc window appears where the original doc window was before I moved it. The visual result is that the second window partially overlaps the original. See attached screenshot. Let me know if I'm not following you, happy to follow up.

Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 4.38.57 PM.png

16. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

OP wants to move a new document window to a new position on the screen.
    Quit Word, then reopen Word.
    New document window should first appear in the same, moved position, and not in the top left corner.
    (I don't remember this behavior, but I likely just didn't notice. Don't know what should be normal in a standard Word install.

17. chscag macrumors 68000

I don't ever remember Word 2011 opening the way the OP noted. On my 27" iMac the new document window has always opened centered. And I keep zoom set to 125%. As a matter of fact, Word 2016 exhibits the same behavior. He can make changes directly to "normal.dotm" and that should stick with opening new documents.

18. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

So - when you open a new document, the title bar for the document window is centered on the screen, and NOT in the top left corner? I'm not talking about the centering of the document in its window, but the position of the window related to the screen.
    I think what the OP wants to know is: What setting do you change in the normal.dotm to center the document window on the screen, so that the first New Document opens in the center of the screen (or any other position other than top left corner?

19. chscag macrumors 68000

My title bar is centered and has always been that way, however, the menu bar and Ribbon will always open on the left side of the document window (if that's what the OP is referring to). Maybe I'm not understanding what he's trying to accomplish?

As for changing normal.dotm, he should be able to position the document on his screen to wherever he wishes and then save normal.dotm. New documents should then follow suit. Again, if that's what he's referring to?

20. pat500000 thread starter macrumors 604

pat500000

I think lot of people don't recognize this. I think it's because i'm used to having the window in the middle....if the window is positioned differently i would like ,"what the heck."

21. pat500000 thread starter macrumors 604

pat500000

Yeah..so it should be in the middle. How would i change directly to normal .dotm?

22. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

OK, but you don't need to separately save the normal.dotm - or you shouldn't ever need to. Word saves changes to default document layout automatically, whenever you quit Word.
    Of course, the OP is not asking about layout or document changes, just the physical position of the document window.
    Show us a screen shot, after launching Word, then opening a default blank document window.
    The window name is centered, of course - but the window itself is not - it's on the left screen edge.
    remember, we're talking about the document window, and not the blank document IN the window.

And, moving the window (to the far right, for example), then quitting, does not change the screen position of the New document window. It still comes up on the top left edge.
    Show us a screen shot of your screen (not just the Word document window) when you can change the position of that window, then Quit Word, reopen, and the Word default document window keeps that change.
    I don't usually dare folks here, but no screenshot - it didn't happen.

23. pat500000, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015

pat500000 thread starter macrumors 604

pat500000

scene 1.png scene 2.png scene 3.png scene 4.png scene 5 .png scene 6.png scene 7.png What i got here is step by step scenes. I think it's left to right and top to bottom...
    1) Started word app
    2)put basic template
    3)From top left, I moved the window to the middle
    4) Typed DEMO and saved
    5) Relaunched and demo document was on the left corner
    6) I moved the document window DEMO to the middle
    7) I made a new template and document 2 window appeared on left corner.

24. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I don't see in your sequence where you Quit Word. The template doesn't actually save a change until you quit Word.
    So, new blank document.
    Move the window.
    Quit Word. Relaunch Word.
    and open New document.
    your Demo document is a complete document, so reopening that simply reopens your Demo document.
    A New document uses only the normal.dotm template. That's your test.

And, to reiterate, I don't think window position is part of the normal.dotm template settings.

And, I would want to see chscag's screenshots. He claims to see the window movement stick over a relaunch of Word.
    I do not.
    And, you also do not.

25. pat500000 thread starter macrumors 604

pat500000

I didn't take a pic of quitting word. I just quit word after saving the document..but you're right..i forgot to post up quit thing.
    It's basically what you said still...the problem is that when I create new document...it won't overlap from the position (last window position)...it opens a new document from top left corner.

Also, when I load the existing document with last window position (middle)..it goes back to the top left corner instead.