Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
Hey there,

I know this has been mentioned before, but I just saw something on yahoo, about "Gadgets".... which are essentially widgets, but for Windows.

http://microsoftgadgets.com/

Also, thats the 'official MS' site for them. Are these available in XP? Are they for Vista or what?

Also is there a sort of Dashboard, or do these just work like Konfabulator widgets did...

I don't actually own a Windows computer, I'm just curious how they run... if they are *exactly* like Dashboard, or more along the lines of Konfabulator.

Thanks!

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Yahoo! Widget Engine (formerly Konfabulator) began for the Mac and then was ported to Windows. It uses widgets and was debated wether Apple had copied it for Dashboard or not.

Microsoft Gadgets are for the new Windows Sidebar in Windows Vista. The sidebar will be released in Windows Vista Beta 2 and in the final version of Vista, when it is released in 2006.
Also, Microsoft's new Live.com series (Office Live, Windows Live, Messenger Live...) has "Live Gadgets" for your live.com homepage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.