Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today updated its Cortana app for iOS with native iPad support. The design looks essentially the same as the iPhone version, but with an interface optimized for the larger 7.9-inch to 12.9-inch screen sizes of Apple's tablets.

microsoft-cortana-ipad-800x604.jpg

The release notes also mention that Cortana now opens 20 percent faster:
What's new:
Introducing a brand-new Cortana for iPad design. Enjoy an exclusive layout and interface for your iPad.
Cortana now launches 20% faster! Enjoy a lightning-fast experience.
Like rivals Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant, Cortana is a digital assistant that can set reminders, schedule calendar appointments, respond to queries, and provide other information through machine learning techniques.

Apple only allows third-party assistants to function within their apps, however, limiting their usefulness versus Siri on iPhone and iPad. For example, Cortana can't be invoked with a voice command when an iOS device is locked.

Nevertheless, iPad users now have one more assistant to choose from alongside Siri and Alexa. Cortana is available for free on the App Store.

Article Link: Microsoft's Cortana Assistant Now Available on iPad

themastermind

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2014
Knoxville, TN
Who wants to open an app to use an assistant?

I agree, and you know that is exactly the reason why Apple limits the ability. It's like trying to set another mail app as your "default", sure you can use another mail app, but they cripple it partially so it works but can't ever be a full replacement. If you want to use it you are going to have to jump through some hoops and things aren't going to integrate near as smoothly as the built in apps.

It's what I dislike the most about Apple products.

Onexy

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
I agree, and you know that is exactly the reason why Apple limits the ability. It's like trying to set another mail app as your "default", sure you can use another mail app, but they cripple it partially so it works but can't ever be a full replacement. If you want to use it you are going to have to jump through some hoops and things aren't going to integrate near as smoothly as the built in apps.

You're absolutely right on this.
Apple's cringy restrictions are just annoying.

Reactions: Stella

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I wish Microsoft would decide if they want to commit to Cortana or just make her their brand for "search". Getting the app to launch faster is nice, but the experience is feels incomplete and inconsistant. This is most apparent of you move between platforms.

Reactions: Avieshek

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004

I totally agree with you on that one. I wish Apple would let us change default apps.

When companies release apps like this, I almost see them as a demo for you to try their services to tempt you into buying one of their products. Have an iPad? Try Cortana. If you like it, maybe you'll buy a Microsoft Surface next time.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011

Yes, being able to be the default assistant would make cortana development easier, but Microsoft could still make a valuable product on ios if they could do more than make her an alternative to siri. I only replace default apps when the developer gives a reason. Fix cortana on win 10 and Xbox and get me used to using her in those workflows.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I've just doubled my use of Siri ....

- Hey Siri, set a timer for xx minutes

To:
- Hey Siri, set a timer for xx minutes
- Hey Siri, open Cortana

Bonus

Reactions: Cloudkicker

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
The masses are happy with the default apps. MR readers are happy with nothing.

You're right, the masses are happy with the default apps... because it's what they're spoon-fed and they don't know there might be anything better. Many MR readers do know there are apps that may suit their needs better and want the choice. What's wrong with that?

If the masses are thirsty enough they'll drink sand if it's given to them because they don't know there's water right around the corner, and many of them can't tell the difference anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.