Mobile OSs Microsoft's new ad campaign against Google: 'Don't Get Scroogled'

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by rMBA13, May 16, 2013.

1. rMBA13 macrumors newbie

Check out this youtube video, it's funny but so true! Kind of explained why Android can be free to Google's partners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cr6AgUo764&sns=em

2. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

No, it isn't true. I honestly don't know why Google hasn't just gone ahead and sued Microsoft for defamation yet.

Google Chrome does not monitor anything. I can't make that any clearer. Chrome does not send your browsing history to Google. At all.

A website with Google AdSense on it enables Google to track your browsing, but that works no matter what browser you have, and Microsoft's Bing ads do the exact same thing.

This is the funny thing about Microsoft's "Scroogled" ads... they spread all this FUD about Google, yet Microsoft is no better. Just look at how they pay a visit to all HTTPS URLs sent through Skype or how they look through your Skydrive files. If anything they're worse than Google. At least Google are honest about how they use your data.

3. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Wow. That's gotta be one of the worst ads ever, as far as the truth goes. I'm not a litigious person, but Google should sue the $#&% out of Microsoft. Just a complete fabrication of "facts". But I guess when your mobile and desktop OS's suck as bad as Microsoft's do, you have to lob grenades to try and keep up.

Good luck with that, Microsoft.

5. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I really don't see much proof it's actually from Microsoft, but I've never liked their ads, ESPECIALLY the Surface ones.
    I saw one where it was just people doing choreographed dancing with some surfaces with lots of stomping and slamming and whatnot.
    What it told me about Surface? Ehh...

6. Assault macrumors 6502a

Assault

Is there a reason to post an ad campaign by Microsoft that has been around for 6 months? And has been completely and utterly unsuccessful?

But it doesn't help that you are spreading false propaganda along with this link. Android isn't free to Google's partners. The code is still licensed and if you use Googles code, you must use Google's main apps in your U/I. Of course, this also explains why Android is on 75% of all the worlds smart phones.

7. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

Feeling bitter about Chrome devouring IE's market share, hey MS?

8. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Boy, someone is bitter about Google's success. And by someone, I mean rMBA more than I mean Microsoft. :p

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly, a clearly fake advert - attacking google - posted by a now banned OP. Do we need to carry this thread any further folks.

nothing to see here.... move along.

10. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

You are correct that Chrome doesn't send your browser history to Google

But google search does (optional), do a search in google, click on the search preferences option, then scroll to the bottom

I find it useful as it auto shows previous searches when I start typing something

11. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

This is true, but that happens in any browser, it can easily be turned off, and I think Bing does the same thing if you log into your Microsoft account.

12. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Yup, Bing is exactly the same, I was trying it the other week and if I am signed in with my MS id it saves everything

It's nothing exclusive to Chrome/Google

13. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Microsoft should focus on the productive stuff instead of running those campaigns. Look, the normal joe doesn't care, and those of us with the know how already know what is going on.

Focus on making your products better instead of crying about your competitors.

14. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712