Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I guess this is Microsoft's answer for Windows for Apple Silicon. Just stream it. :D
Still quite groundbreaking imo. This also means people on older machines who cannot upgrade to Windows 11 might be able to do so through this (assuming the minimum requirement is not Windows 11).
I don't see anything groundbreaking about it really. It's just a VM on a remote server sold as a service. These have been around forever.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Err, what if a company have M1 Macs and they want to use Windows as well? This can be a solution.
Partner's old MacBook Pro is getting creaky - and she would like a new one. 16". But the combination of a VMware VM running Windows and having to keep to an older version of MacOS results in jet engine fan noise much of the time. (Can't remember why that is - but there is a specific reason she cannot go to Big Sur.)

She needs two apps under Windows - Corel Draw (the MacOS version is a horrendous price for her use) and a piece of software which is highly specific to a piece of hardware and simply cannot be substituted.

Getting a last-of-the-Intels MacBook seems like a non-optimum move.

This offering seems a reasonable possibility.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Assuming Microsoft offers a consumer plan down the line, not only should Windows 365 offer a full desktop experience on iPads, it may appeal to owners of Apple silicon Macs who are unable to run Windows through Boot Camp.
That's a HUGE assumption, but I'm certainly hoping they do. To now, it's all been targeted at businesses.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Will Co

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2021
United Kingdom
Could be interesting and even useful.

My use-case would be developing iOS/iPadOS etc apps but with components of the software developed using Windows tools via Visual Studio, and technologies such as Xamarin. All doable with ease on the same machine using an Intel Mac and Fusion. Not currently doable using AS. I'm watching the Parallels/vmWare developments with interest, but this could be a workable alternative, assuming you have a reliable high speed internet connection, which I normally do. If I connect using RDP it would be great if I can expose local networking in a controlled and firewall manner to the cloud, allowing my remote Windows OS to access selected parts of my local network, including the Apple build tools, which is how Xamarin/VS works currently. Possibly dangerous, from a security point of view, but interesting....

aapl owner

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Raleigh NC
Why do they call it Windows 365? What is 365? Why not 360 at least?

The best talent people at Microsoft have is placing forgettable names on their products that will only end up remembered in time for the biggest failure they were.
Because it works 365 days out of the year. Apparently, it doesn't work on February 29th.

• Haha
Reactions: CalMin

Totorotarrot

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2015
I said a iMac like device. And multi gigabit internet is quite common and cheeper to setup in a office. Depending on terminal power requirement, you could install hundreds of terminals with just PoE and those users get a better experience than the £300 Dell than was going to be there. As for home users, they already steam games, videos, and music. Why not stream the word processor and browser down?
So iMac? A PC with above average computing power? His question still stands why uses this? If you said iPad or chrome book it would make more sense. iMac is way more powerful.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
It should theoretically be possible to run a VM in the cloud and install macOS on it as a guest OS.

So you could have virtualized macOS running on a cloud instance of Windows 365, streamed to your iPad via Safari.
The question is whether it will be usable with so many levels of indirection.

it depends on your network speed.

I do something similar with a Windows VM setup for my iPad at home via VPN. If I need more advanced activity that the iPad can't do, I just use RDP to remote to the windows box. There's lag due to network performance sometimes. But overall, it works really well. I imagine this would be no different, if not better performing since it's on more robust servers and networks.

I also do similar for my staff at work usin VMWare Horizon's and thin client workstations. Users get a cheap dinky little thin client that when they power on, automatically connects to a centralized broker, and serves the users a temporary Windows VM dedicated only to them. Which then shuts down upon logoff

I see this as Microsoft recognizing with the "work from home' push of the last year, they want a competing product to the VMWare Horizons or Citrix, but with Microsoft recent direction of cloud services and Azure platform for everything, This is Microsoft's way of keeping you on their physical servers for their own purposes rather than providing an on premise version (like VMware)

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
So you are paying twice? Once for the Windows license on the company PC, and again for the Windows 365 licence?

The thing most end users don't realize is that with Microsoft, you don't just pay twice... you pay multiple times on-end.

Windows server? You don't just pay for that server, you have to pay for every single client that touches that server. using Windows as DHCP? every client must have a client access license.

setting up a windows server with VSphere HA? thats TWO licenses!

Setting up a cloud azure windows? Windows licenses, CALs AND Azure licensing.

Microsoft LIcensing is one of the most barbaric Anti-trust and anti-competitive abuses of their market position in the industry and nobody seems to want to question it.

EG: My Windows E5 licensing package gives me 200 windows 10 licenses for my users to install on up to 5 devices.

These 200 licenses cannot apply to windows 10 VM instant clones in Vmware, and I'm forced to have paid for annother 100 windows 10 licenses just for the VM clones. Than each of those required numerous CAL's since they touch numerous different windows servers.

the whole thing is a joke and 2022 I've already told executive here I will be migrating as much off windows as possible. It will likely save my organization hundreds of thousands of dollars in Microsoft licensing a year.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
So you are paying twice? Once for the Windows license on the company PC, and again for the Windows 365 licence?
Not necessarily. If you are using an iPad, MacOS or Linux, you're only paying Microsoft once.

From a corporate point of view, it may make sense to some. IT can keep a fairly consistent control on the OS. Perhaps a few less barriers with other hardware failure. Given there's a crunch of silicon availability over multiple sectors including PC builders, this might help alleviate some of the hardware replacement cycles as well. As mentioned before though, this model is nothing new.

I work remotely using RDP and RDS to many machines and applications all the time sharing a 50Mbps internet connection without issue for its intended purpose.

Edit: hmmm... on second thought maybe there is a second cost there, but if it is priced like Azure servers, I think the OS is covered in the price of the monthly service.

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
these articles (here and elsewhere) are creating a lot of confusion among readers, this service is not for consumers and not even for freelancers, this is a service for companies with a certain numbers of employees, you cannot just rent one unit and use it at home (unless again you are an employee of one of these companies that have a contract with Microsoft)

zepfhyr

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
Meanwhile, Parallels Desktop employees are panically brushing up resume writing skills.
Nah, this still requires an Internet connection, which means there will still be a market for virtualization. Unless Parallels can't figure out how to run Windows at a decent speed on Apple Silicon.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
So iMac? A PC with above average computing power? His question still stands why uses this? If you said iPad or chrome book it would make more sense. iMac is way more powerful.

A terminal that can be powered via PoE is significantly less powerful than a iMac. Saying it would look like a iMac seems to have confused people that aren't familiar with the concept.

vladimirc

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2018
This is how an iPad will run windows before MacOS. I am so fed up with apple deciding what I can run and what I can't run on my devices that have been paid thousands of dollars

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
My guess is corporates will lap it up. Perhaps we will see a resurgence of those thin clients that people like Wyse used to make back at the end of the nineties.

Having said that a nice side effect may be that Apple M1 customers have a solution to running Windows without buying another device.

I can see it being very popular for businesses to do that. It is very expensive to buy, power, and cool offices full of Dell's. And even the lightest machine is markably more powerful than the needs here. A support centre with 1000 staff could easily have people just go to the first free desk and login to their environment that also follows them home if Covid 25 turns up.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
My guess is corporates will lap it up. Perhaps we will see a resurgence of those thin clients that people like Wyse used to make back at the end of the nineties.

Having said that a nice side effect may be that Apple M1 customers have a solution to running Windows without buying another device.
Yep. I could see a lot of the companies I work with use this strategy.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Isn't this old tech? I heard you can deploy systems in the cloud for a very long time now. You can even stream an OS using VNC since the black and white screen macintosh, am I right?

My head blew up when I learned that in the olden days computers originally worked like this as the client"terminal" was basically just a window to access the OS that laid in the main server.

Any way, neat way to replace VM if it really works as if native.... and have no problem Microsoft employees reading your files

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Looks like a winner for the target market of business customers (Office 365 Business and 365 Enterprise license holders). It gives their users the same desktop on multiple platforms so they can pick up a task where they left off on their Windows, Mac, or iPad client.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I don't know if enterprises will adopt this, because most of them are already balls deep in Citrix. However this seems like a good option for Azure based companies who have O365 at it's core.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Except that in the cloud means not available where you have no signal.
I won’t be ditching parallels anytime soon.
Will Parallels survive without business customers?

This offering is for Office 365 Business and Enterprise license holders. Some spend a lot for Parallels licenses now and could dump most of those licenses and the associated support issues and costs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.