Microsoft's notebook mouse for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dubbedout, Jul 19, 2008.

1. dubbedout macrumors newbie

I was in the apple store today getting my macbook worked on and decided I needed a bluetooth mouse. I ended up getting the MS mouse that said it was "for Mac" and I got it connected fine and it works. My question is, this mouse has like 4 buttons on it and it says on the package that you can use these buttons with a mac.

Specifically it says:
    4 BUTTONS:
    Use the back button to easily navigate between folders and web pages, or press the wheel for dashboard.

These buttons don't do anything. In Firefox if I press them it will give me a scroll thing but thats it. Does anybody know how you can either get these buttons working or program them?

Microsoft.com has no helpful information or software to download for this mouse.

Thanks!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

have you looked under keyboard and mouse preferences?

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

You probably need to install the drivers for the mouse and they will allow you to set the mouse settings in System Preferences.

4. dubbedout thread starter macrumors newbie

no luck

yep, only shows basic mouse settings like scrolling speed and stuff, nothing about other buttons.

I went to microsoft.com and it said there were no downloads available.

5. BentwoodBlue macrumors member

6. dubbedout thread starter macrumors newbie

Its the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook mouse 5000

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

You can set expose and spaces to those buttons (in expose and spaces pref pane).

If you want it to go back to the previous webpage in web browsers or whatnot, you'll need to install something. If there's no official drivers (and even if there are, they probably suck anyway), USBOverdrive and SteerMouse will do the trick.

8. dubbedout thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks alot! Steermouse did everything I wanted. :)