Microsoft's website hacked...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Funny... Their message was, in part: "HACK IS NOT A CRIME"... Yes, it is! Hello!?! You cannot break into something that does legally belong to you (lets stay off the whole DRM debate), physically or electronically... it's against the law = a crime...

Man, some of those crackers/hackers are stupid... :rolleyes:

But still, I cannot quite condemn a defacing of any Microsoft site, as long as no real harm was done... :D

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Doctor Q said:
It looks like "HACH" to me.
I think that that is just the font Doctor Q. Look at the As and Rs...

I think that this guy should at least get someone who speaks English to prepare a statement before going through all the trouble [sic] of hacking Microsoft's site. I would say "Hacking is not a crime." would be far more fitting...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Funny... Their message was, in part: "HACK IS NOT A CRIME"... Yes, it is! Hello!?! You cannot break into something that does legally belong to you (lets stay off the whole DRM debate), physically or electronically... it's against the law = a crime...

Man, some of those crackers/hackers are stupid... :rolleyes:

But still, I cannot quite condemn a defacing of any Microsoft site, as long as no real harm was done... :D
In theory a Hack doesn't take anything while a Crack does damage.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I don't know why he even pretended to have a message. He knows damn well that Rafa won't be freed and that hacking will continued to be viewed as a crime. He might as well have put up a graphic that said "Look how cool I am, I can hack Microsoft's website."

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
MacNut said:
I know, but unfortunately the two, once separate, notions has merged into one, where the word hack now means both the old "hack" (to program) and to "crack" (to break in), and unfortunately the second meaning is the most widespread. :(

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
That's kiddie stuff. Look at THIS and see how M$ spins Rove-like. The whole point I'm making is that the kiddies get caught, mostly. The real terror is NOT seeing an intrusion that COULD and most certainly IS taking place. What we don't know can sure hurt us. Chinese? Koreans? You betcha.
And as is my tradition, I end with a question:
"When the HELL are coprorations and even individuals going to get tired of the MS pack of lies?

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
"Zone-H reckons that misconfiguration of Microsoft's UK web server permitted the latest attack.

For the record, Microsoft's UK site runs Microsoft's IIS 6 web server software on Windows 2003 servers."

Talk about redundant... ;)

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Les Kern said:
When the HELL are coprorations and even individuals going to get tired of the MS pack of lies?
When they realize it's lies. But a lot of people still continue to think "if everyone uses Microsoft and Microsoft have a ****load of money, they must be good!". :rolleyes:

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
MacNut said:

A Hack takes time to restore which means less productivity and lost profits, but I'm sure M$ has enough maintenance people that it doesn't matter. My company, on the other hand....

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Oryan said:
A Hack takes time to restore which means less productivity and lost profits, but I'm sure M$ has enough maintenance people that it doesn't matter. My company, on the other hand....
Then it's a Crack not a Hack ;)