Microwave cooking times

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tzhu07, Sep 7, 2015.

1. tzhu07 macrumors regular

tzhu07

Let's say the instructions say "4-6 minutes". What do you set the timer to? I set it to 5 minutes. I always take the middle ground.

Yes, this thread is happening.

2. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I save time & trouble by eating only cold food :D

3. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

I usually heat it on the pan or use it as a base for a new dish. In fact, I don't even have a microwave oven anymore.

4. Vashed macrumors newbie

Vashed

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It depends, most cooking directions assume a microwave of 1,000 watts, but some of the newish microwaves are more powerful. I have such a microwave, so if the directions call for 3 minutes, stir and cook for a minute. I do it for 2 minutes, stir and then add a minute

6. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I'd normally aim for the higher number, then check it over in the last minute to make my judgment

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'm with maflynn here. We have one of those microwaves where if you follow the directions exactly, especially with stuff like popcorn, it'll burn it. So a lot of times it's even less than directed, or ignoring the fact that it says not to use the presets.

In general though, I start at the bottom, because just 30 seconds to a minute extra makes all the difference.

Have to have something to talk about while we wait for the keynote tomorrow. ;)

8. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

In this case, I would do 4 minutes, 56 seconds.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's how I go about it as well: the times are based on certain wattage (usually 1000, as mentioned, although sometimes more or less) and then I extrapolate what would apply based on the wattage of the microwave that I have. If mine is more powerful I'd go closer to the lower number from the range that is suggested (or somewhat less if a single number is suggested), and vice versa if mine is less powerful.

11. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I have an older Daewoo-branded microwave rated at only 800 watts of power and I usually have to add about a minute or so to the cooking time for many microwavable foods.