Mics for consumer camcorders

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macfilm, Jun 20, 2011.

1. macfilm macrumors regular

Hi, I know very little about audio so can anyone recommend a lapel type mic that can be used on consumer camcorders? My exact model is a Sony HDR-SR8E with a basic 3.5mm jack.

Just need good quality vocals really, for interviews and such. Prices under £100/$160 would be great.

Cheers!

2. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

3. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

.... and as you still have some money left, get also a Zoom H1 (~$100 in USA). That enables you to record your audio independently from your footage.
    A great combo that I use for my private stuff.

Get a bunch of extra batteries for the ATR. I oftentimes forget to turn that @#$%& mic off and it sucks the battery empty.
    If you are handy with a soldering iron you can build in an LED that shows when it is on.

There's also an Azden wireless kit for around $150. But in this case you get what you paid for. I wasn't too impressed with it.

5. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular

Ah yeah I've heard great things about the Zoom H1, thanks for reminding me of it! Think I will need both in the long run.

Cheers :)

6. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Great recommendation with the H1, I have the more expensive h4n, it works very well.

You now have yourself a great set up (once you purchase it of course :) ), best wishes to you! And yes, carry a butt load of batteries, put it in a pouch, and strap it to the cord of the mic, because you WILL forget to turn it off, and you will be out of juice at every important moment. :)