Mid '07 MacBook: SSD Ready?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Fast/Furious, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Hey all,

I just bought a used MacBook (2.16/2x512/120/SD) from Craigslist and I love it. The original owner had a HDD crash so he replaced the 120GB drive with a 5400rpm 250GB HDD. I've already put in 3GB of RAM from my old Gateway POS which gave up the ghost 1.5 years into service, and now my Mac is one of the fastest computers i've ever used... which is odd seeing as that it's exactly 36 months old according to CoconutBattery. Anyways..

The next "mod" I was planning to do involves replacing the 250GB HDD with a 64GB SSD. (http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=54214&vpn=OCZSSD2-1ONX64G&manufacture=OCZ Technology)
    Is this possible for my MacBook? I've read a lot of conflicting reports about the battery life.. my real problem is the cost. I have no problem with waiting another year or so for prices to drop, but will they? If anyone's ever put an SSD in their MacBook please share your opinions and experiences here.

Thanks in advance :)

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It certainly is possible, but I would recommend waiting until prices drop a bit, so you can get a more reasonable size. 64GB really isn't very much, and SSDs can act funny when they start to get full. Plus OS X doesn't support TRIM yet, which keeps SSDs working properly for longer