Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

model citizen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
I bought a secondhand MacBook with the three year applecare plan which runs out in September 2010. It's always been great but recently I've started to have some issues and I have some questions regarding apple's warranty services.

It's a MacBook (13-inch Mid 2007), the model with the rubbish video card, superdrive, 120GB HDD and 2.16 core 2 duo. I've always taken good care of it. I've put 2GB Ram into it and a larger 320GB HDD but nothing, even the software was changed recently. I am running Snow Leopard which I've had since it came out.

Checking my warranty online, the following information is displayed:

Registered

Telephone Technical Support: Active
Estimated Expiration Date: September 20, 2010

Call Apple Support

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active
Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's TriCare agreement.

For more information about your coverage, please contact us.

Estimated Expiration Date: September 20, 2010

The problems:

Lately it's started acting up, it couldn't boot with the question mark on the folder showing up. I've reinstalled and changed harddrives but every 20 or so times I boot up, it'll happen. It would also very occasionally crash when waking from sleep. The casing is getting very cracked and lines are showing too.

This was all fairly mild so I was going to leave it be for now but then yesterday the superdrive stopped working. Every time I insert a CD or DVD, it'll go in, make some dodgy sounding noises and then either eject or do nothing with the CD stuck inside. I've managed to get it out every time but it will not mount DVD's CD's or CDR's.

I'm a little worried in case all this is a sign of something bigger going wrong like a logic board on its way out (no doubt dying just after my warranty goes).

Now, checking online with the apple support page tells me I have 'TriCare' coverage and so I'm hoping they'll replace the superdrive, fix the casing and possibly sort out the more difficult to pin down HDD issues.

But I live a over two hours drive away from an Apple store (there is an Apple Authorized Service Provider nearby though) and I'm a musician currently in the process of finishing an album off so if at all possible I don't want to be without my MacBook for more than a few hours.

The questions

If I take it to an AASP, is this as good as taking it to an apple store? That is, will they be able to fix it and replace the needed parts.

Will they be able to fix it and give it me back the same day, or at least the following day?

Is there anything else I need to do or does any of this indicate a likely larger problem?

I have backed up fully and updated. I haven't dropped the Mac, spilled water on it or done anything else destructive.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Usually if you get the folder with question mark on boot, it means that (1) a file(s) are corrupted and it can't boot the OS or (2) the HDD is going bad. Seeing how you have replaced the HDD and still getting the problems, it could be the logic board.

As for the repairs, you can either got to a third party service provider or call AppleCare and setup a repair. Unfortunately, it will take more than a day. Average time is 5 days, max I've ever seen was 3 weeks.

If you have the install discs, I'd try running disk utility and/or try the Apple Hardware Test to see if anything will get flagged.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
If I take it to an AASP, is this as good as taking it to an apple store? That is, will they be able to fix it and replace the needed parts.

Yes.

Will they be able to fix it and give it me back the same day, or at least the following day?

Depends on the severity of the problem and if they have the parts in stock.

Is there anything else I need to do or does any of this indicate a likely larger problem?

Just describe the symptoms to them.

model citizen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Thanks for the info guys, I have tried disk utility but didn't even know about the apple hardware test. I can't use my installation CD because the super drive won't work but maybe I can insert an old external CD Drive I've got lying around for an old Dell. No idea if it'll work with the Mac though.

smithmax13

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
I've had authorized repair centers just mail my powerbook into apple for repair. It might be worth your time to call apple and ask what the time frame would be for you mailing your computer into them. I'm not sure if it's still fast, but I've mailed computers into apple and it was back to me 3 days after making the phone call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.