Mid 09 MacBook 2.13Ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LeftFootedBeast, Nov 12, 2010.

1. LeftFootedBeast macrumors newbie

Hello, I have been browsing the forums for a while now, but having just brought a MacBook off of a friend of a friend, thought I'd sign up and see if you guys can answer a couple of questions...as this friend of a friend has gone awol.

I paid £350 for a 2.13Ghz MacBook with charger and AppleCare until February 2013. It's a little beat up and has some bruising to the screen (looks like someone put weight on the lid when closed and it's pushed the screen into the keyboard - not noticable when browsing the web, but is when viewing photos/videos). He originally wanted £400 and then eventually accepted £350, and I didn't think much of it at first. But then I got thinking...

Could it possibly be stolen? Similar MacBooks go on auction sites for the £500 mark, but do generally come complete with box and the insides. The fact that he has gone awol doesn't ease the mind that it could well be.

Now all I'm after is clarification on Apple's stance on possible stolen Macs. Ideally I'd like to take it to Apple and get the screen fixed (I'm not fussed about paying a fee) and the casing replaced (it does have a little crack emerging and I know Apple replace these under warrenty)...but I'm afraid that if I book it in and Apple find that if it is stolen, they won't give it back and I would have thrown £350 away. I guess the main stumbling block is the AppleCare. I'm lead to believe that you need a Apple ID to register AppleCare and I don't know the ID of the previous owner. Is that correct?

In an ideal world I'd have paid the £700 to buy a refurb from the Apple store or the £500 from eBay, but unfortunately I'm in a job that pays little :(

2. appleinfl macrumors newbie

Just go to the Applecare website and register it under your name. Then it will show up under your name when you go to have it repaired.

3. LeftFootedBeast thread starter macrumors newbie

That's my issue, the MacBook has the Applecare already registered to it and I don't have the details of who originally registered it...so when I log into my account, it states that I haven't taken out any policies on any products.

Without proof of purchase or the original owners details I'm a little stuck when it comes to making a claim with the Applecare.