Mid 09 MBP 13" Doesn't Boot Up - Tried Several Troubleshooting Options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wizwaz3, Feb 3, 2015.

1. wizwaz3 macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

About 4 days ago, I was using my MBP with an external display for the first time and I had to leave the house. I left the computer running and when I returned, it was unresponsive. I thought it was asleep, but when I hit the power button, it chimed, then booted only to the white screen. There were no icons, no Apple logo, no progress indicator, etc. It would stay at this screen indefinitely. I have to shut it off myself each time. Also worth noting, when I picked it up after shutting it off the first time, the bottom was quite warm. Warmer than I normally find it.

Of course, the first thing I did was search Google for any possible answers. I tried several troubleshooting techniques, including:

Shift + Power
    Option + Power
    Cmd + Option + P + R before the chime
    D + Power
    Cmd + R

I didn't try Shift + Control + Option as I had read that someone 'bricked' their MBP doing that, so I was hesitant in case it did any more damage.

If anyone knows any solutions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

I have the original OS X Install discs from an older white MacBook that no longer runs. Could it possibly work to reinstall the OS so I can at least start from scratch? If not, Is there any way to download the OS using a Windoze machine so I can burn it to a disc?

I'm desperate! I lost my mid 06 iMac 24" to a faulty video card, the white MB to God only knows what (it never even tries to boot up anymore & the fan blades broke off when I tried to use an airduster inside of it). I really don't want to lose my last usable Mac... =/

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Can you get to the boot menu by holding down Option after pressing the power button?

4. wizwaz3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wizwaz3

That didn't produce any results either. I tried by holding the Opt. key before pressing power, pressing power then holding the Opt. key before the chime and pressing power then holding the Opt. key after the chime, but before the grey screen. None of those techniques worked. =/

Also, in case it might be helpful at all, this is the exact Mini-DisplayPort to DVI/VGA/HDMI adapter I was using when I left and it shut down while I was gone. I've tried plugging the adapter back in and troubleshooting, but nothing so far.