mid-09 mbp display ghosting or logo "burn in" issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Merzie, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Merzie, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

Merzie macrumors member

6-12 months after I got my mbp in mid-09 I noticed this ring around the center of the lcd. It's gotten progressively worse. I can see the ring no matter the ambient light conditions or brightness setting.. and I'm also noticing some "ghosting" around the edges of the screeen when screen is blacker. the logo ring is most noticeable when screen is blacker.

Maybe the light coming in from the back (maybe sunlight?) damaged the back of the display, or maybe it's that white ring of white plastic that gives the logo it's color.

:confused:

[​IMG]

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

I noticed on my new one that the logo would shine through the screen, but it is when it is bright outside and my screen is off. I never noticed it on my older MBP, but it had a Matte screen and wasn't a unibody.

3. Merzie thread starter macrumors member

Yes, the glass is cracked. Does not touch lcd.

[​IMG]

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

so you are worried about the burn in, but not the HUGE ASS CRACK on the screen? :)

Sorry, just had to say that;) .

How did the screen crack? Why not get it replaced? Apple will replace the whole screen, not just the glass (ala iPhone/iPod)..

5. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

It looks like the kind of imprint that gets left after too much pressure is applied to the screen... like if someone steps on it and cracks the glass.

I ran over my MBP with my car and it not only has an imprint around the logo (circular, just like yours), but also horizontal imprints from where the pressure must have pushed the screen against the rows of keys on the keyboard.

The only way to get rid of it is to replace the whole screen assembly.

Question, is the "ghosting" most noticeable when viewing dark images? On mine, I only really see it when I'm watching a movie.

6. Merzie thread starter macrumors member

I think during movies it's most annoying and the primary complaint.

I replaced the lower case myself but was going to have tech restore convert the top to matte (~270). I'm going to leave it and turn this machine into something some day. I mostly use it with external monitor anyways.

I think it is caused by pressure too.. At times when I was lazy I would cram books next to it within the laptop case. Crack is from corner dent from drop (with protection, I might add). I also notice a lot of backlight bleed or ghosting around the edges that does not appear to be normal. don't notice unless moving watching. I guess maybe the corner dent is flexing the lcd a little bit. the cause??-- maybe idk

It's sad though that this one cannot outlive my brothers '06 santa rosa mbp which has a flawless glossy screen to this day.