Mid '09 VS. Late '09

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by anti_, Jan 6, 2010.

1. anti_ macrumors member

anti_

I got a decision to make and i would greatly appreciate the assistance of the boards. I have about a grand to drop on my first Mac. I'm done with Windows. Time to try something new.

So my choice is between:

a late '09 MacBook without Applecare (hopefully only for the time being)

or a mid '09 MacBook with Applecare

My biggest concern is the difference between the two MBs. A slightly faster processor, a larger HD, and a "longer lasting battery". But what am I missing? Any major differences in the displays, or between polycarbonate vs. unibody?

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The Unibody white MacBook has a screen that is lightyears ahead of the previous poly-carb white MacBooks. The longer battery life of the built-in batteries is incredible as well.

3. Ammo macrumors regular

As the forum's resident White Unibody pimper...I say Late '09 Unibody.

If you can, compare them side by side...without question the Unibody SLAUGHTERS the non-unibody in terms of screen vibrancy, construction (non-unibody looks flimsy in comparison), touchpad, etc.

4. chill. macrumors 6502

just keep in mind that you have a whole year to add applecare, and if you are looking at applecare from apple then it is overpriced, you can get it upwards of 60% cheaper off ebay

5. anti_ thread starter macrumors member

anti_

awrgh. terrible news for me, but i appreciate the feedback.

6. Ammo macrumors regular

You got the non-unibody, didn't you? :p

7. anti_ thread starter macrumors member

anti_

haha no, its just more than i can afford. wondering if i can make food optional for the next month... hahaha

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I'm gonna vote for the previous generation MB ... here's why.

1. Firewire - the new ones don't have it.

2. Upgrades - the previous-gen MB's are ridiculously easy to upgrade yourself. The HDD and RAM takes about 5 minutes to replace. The DVD drive isn't that difficult either.

3. Battery indicator

4. Keyboard is replaceable - not sure if this is a pro or a con. Perhaps it's a wash. I've never had a keyboard break on me, but knowing that it's easily replaceable is a good thing. However, if you're fussy about your stuff, know that the old MB will develop cracks on the palmrest ... it just will.

To me, the main dealmaker for the older MB is the Firewire. I can't live without it (miniDV user), well, at least until I go with a newer video camcorder.

ft

BTW, I'm not sure where you're at, but Microcenter is selling the new uniMB for $1000, but you get a $200 Visa gift card rebate. You could use the $200 for food and spend the money you would have used on food for Applecare.

9. anti_ thread starter macrumors member

anti_

UCI had a sale going on, so i ended up getting the low-end 13" MBP for the price of a brand new MacBook!

what a steal? i think so ;)
    thanks for all the input guys, ya helped me out a bunch.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Very nice...that's the computer I would have gone for :cool: