Mid '10 MacBook Pro - NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M Glitch?

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
Has anybody else had a problem where the graphics seems to 'glitch' every now and again? I finally managed to grab a screenie, where it held for a couple of seconds as opposed to a few milliseconds.

My Applecare has expired, it's a real pain in the ass but I'm not sure of how Apple would deal with it (it must be a hardware problem?)
In the UK we have 6 years to claim against a manufacturing defect, do you think this might be covered and could be fixed fairly quickly?

Pic of the pixels 'glitching':

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
Known issue. Take it to Apple and see what they say. In the US, all of these computers are outside of the free repair window.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088
Outside of the window? Ah ****. I thought for so long that it was a dodgy cable connecting my monitor...it was only when I actually started using it as a laptop recently that I realised something was up.

kevink2

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I occasionally see it too. More often than before. Wonder what the repair costs are if it gets worse.

delude

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
UK
If it is a hardware failure would you be able to catch it with a screenshot?
I didn't think you could!

Barney
That's very true, but what I mean is it's the hardware that I thought it would be a graphics hardware problem that causes the error in the graphical interface like that, ie no amount of software tinkering would fix it.

I guess I will have to try and take it into a store, although the next opportunity will be in a couple of weeks time as I really need to use it! Hopefully I can quote their site on the 6 year consumer law - it's clearly not a problem that has been caused by me, especially if it's a recognised problem, and obviously isn't down to normal usage.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
If it is a hardware failure would you be able to catch it with a screenshot?
I didn't think you could!

Barney
Of course you would. Video RAM corruption or anything that has to do with texture mapping/ROP can be easily captured in a screenshot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.