Mid '11 MacBook Air fan issues

isashach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
For some reason, a couple of hours ago when I resumed my mac from sleep, the fan speed showed 000 rpm in smcFanControl and in the iStats widget. No matter if I changed the speed, it still stayed at 000 rpm. I didn't notice anything until the computer got up to 80c whilst watching a video on youtube. This problem is still present after a reboot, and I can't hear the fan either!

I'm kinda bummed because I didn't take applecare when I bought this computer.

komoornik

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
If your warranty is over you can take off the back panel and you will have great access to the fan.

Maybe something is just blocking it? Or perhaps it just died so you will need to replace it.

Comment

halledise

macrumors 65816
For some reason, a couple of hours ago when I resumed my mac from sleep, the fan speed showed 000 rpm in smcFanControl and in the iStats widget. No matter if I changed the speed, it still stayed at 000 rpm. I didn't notice anything until the computer got up to 80c whilst watching a video on youtube. This problem is still present after a reboot, and I can't hear the fan either!

I'm kinda bummed because I didn't take applecare when I bought this computer.
have you tried to reset the SMC?

(with Air off and power cord disconnected, hold down these 3 - shift+control+option and press power button once. wait 5 or 10 seconds then connect power cord and restart)

Comment

isashach

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
have you tried to reset the SMC?

(with Air off and power cord disconnected, hold down these 3 - shift+control+option and press power button once. wait 5 or 10 seconds then connect power cord and restart)
Will anything else happen when I do this?

Comment

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
If you have a mid-11 MBA, you are still in warranty, regardless of opting for the 3 year extension or not.

Comment

halledise

macrumors 65816
Will anything else happen when I do this?
nope

read this:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own

Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.