Mid-'15 MacBook Pro 15" battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigfish88, Dec 11, 2015.

1. bigfish88, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015

bigfish88 macrumors newbie

bigfish88

Hey, all. Sorry if this is a repeat thread--I searched thoroughly, but was hardly able to find anything on the forum.

I just purchased a certified refurbished mid-'15 MBP from Apple with 16 GB of RAM, 500 GB of flash storage, and the AMD dedicated graphics card. According to Apple, the advertised battery of said laptop should be 9 hours of web surfing with 75% screen brightness, and 9 hours of continual 1080p movie watching.

My battery icon barely shows 6.5 hours with three tabs open on Safari, and when watching youtube videos, it cuts down drastically to about 4 hours. My late 2011 13 inch MBP gets better battery life than this. Is this normal for real-time use?

It's a little disheartening, considering how I spent a pretty penny for a laptop that is supposed to have a long battery life.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Battery life varies based on usage, and the fine print at the bottom says that they performed the test using the base model 15" rMBP. If your usage is causing the computer to switch over to the dedicated GPU, then that will affect your battery life.

3. dark_phoenix2000 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a base model 15" rMBP and have also receive no where near the battery life Apple or other forum users claim. This is with light usage and 50% screen brightness.

From my research into the matter it seems to be related to Sierra (my machine came pre configured with Sierra out of the box), as the battery complaints from the majority of users across all model years seem to coincide with when Sierra was released.

4. 50calty macrumors newbie

I too ordered a refurbished mid 15 mbp 15" with specs as follows: 2.8ghz 1 tb of storage, and AMD graphics card. I've been getting around 5 to 6 hours. Don't know if I could get any better battery life or not.

5. motime macrumors 6502

I got 9 hours out of the base 15 inch refurbished but I returned that one to get the one with the amd card, haven't really tested it yet but it should be around the same. That is 9 hours plus just basic web browsing etc. I never put chrome on when running on battery, it is always safari.