Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A couple of industrious readers have noticed that Apple's iMac support site was recently updated to include a product manual for a "Mid 2006" iMac. The manual does not appear to differ much, if at all from the current iMac manual, and does not list any specifications. The current iMac was introduced at Macworld San Francisco in January of this year.

Recent rumors/speculation has indicated that Apple may employ Intel's Conroe chip after it arrives later this month in the iMac. Other possibilities remain that Apple could update the iMac with "Merom" chips that require minimum motherboard redesign by Apple.

Update: Looks like we got ahead of ourselves. The manual is most likely for iMac for Education. Sorry for any missed heartbeats.

Digg This

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
I always thought that was meant for the edu iMac, but it could mean a new one soon.

EDIT 2: MY BAD! I thought for a minute that the edu iMac's didn't have an iSight. It's the remote they don't have. :eek: :eek: :eek:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I thought merom would be a swappable chip requiring an EFI/BIOS update only. If there is a revision to the MLB. I'd guess they'd use Conroe...i think its more logical with the merom chips going into the minis

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
Just had a look art the parts list thesre include:

80GB HDD and Combo Drive - This is a manual for the EDU iMac not a new revision. Makes sense.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Yeah, but now that we don't have the PPC chips to diferentiate the different models, are we jsut going to have the iMac, mid 2006 model, iMac mid 2026 model, etc etc?:confused:

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
That's some odd wording: "recent rumors/speculation has indicated that Apple may employ Intel's Conroe chip after it arrives later in the iMac."

Isn't the whole point of the rumour that Conroe might show up in the iMac? Also, I'd say "rumours and speculation have indicated." It's just better English. :)

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
thejadedmonkey said:
Yeah, but now that we don't have the PPC chips to diferentiate the different models, are we jsut going to have the iMac, mid 2006 model, iMac mid 2026 model, etc etc?:confused:

That's pretty much how they've always been done. iMac Summer 2000, Mac mini Late 2005 etc...

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
yankeefan24 said:
I always thought that was meant for the edu iMac, but it could mean a new one soon.

EDIT: reading through the manual, it shows an iSight so it is probably not the edu. I am reading through it now and will report anything interesting to you.

The Edu iMac has an iSight too.

mingisback

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
United States
Hopefully Merom. I've heard that Yohna and Merom use the same socket and are swapable.. if this is true it would be an easy upgrade for current owners of the iMac and Mac mini. :)

kevin.rivers

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2005
yankeefan24 said:

EDIT: reading through the manual, it shows an iSight so it is probably not the edu. I am reading through it now and will report anything interesting to you.

Didn't the edu have an isight...:confused:

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
Nothing in the manual *at all* to help figure it out. The only screen of system prefs said it was a 1.83 core due (pg 63)... but it could be an old screen shot, eh?

danman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2002
Be it Merom or Conroe...

...i am waiting.

I am hoping for a minor GPU Bump too. 'part from that, I got the cash waiting!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It's obviously the EDU model. It doesn't include the Apple Remote, as illustrated in the diagram showing what's in the box. The section regarding the remote says "If you have an Apple remote..." while the same section in the old iMac manual says "Your Apple remote..."

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
It's definatly the EDU iMac they wouldn't offer a Combo on an iMac or an 80GB HDD again. Also there is only a 17" no 20".

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Damn, I got excited for this too. I voted the story Positive, the page refreshed, and then I saw the update. :( Oh well, there will be something at WWDC '06, we know that.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Arnaud said:
It (sadly) looks like the new version of the iMac EDU indeed (which also comes in 20", btw)

People are using "EDU" as shorthand for the "iMac for Education" which only comes in 17". The "EDU" you see on that page in the second and third columns is simply the educational pricing of the regular iMac models.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
The service manual says it's the EDU model-wished that had a Sony style revision history, as when these are updated, Apple doesn't list any changes, unlike Sony's which does.

moot

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
in the great Asian wonderland
Just to nail this on the head, check out this description of iMac.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301724

It shows you how to identify which iMac you have.

At the bottom of the page it says:

iMac (Mid 2006)
The iMac (Mid-2006) was introduced in July 2006. This computer has several features that distinguish it from the iMac (Early 2006):

A 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo processor with a 17-inch screen AND
Comes with the Intel GMA950 graphics processor using shared main memory.
Comes with a Combo drive (reads DVDs and CDs, writes CDs)
Does NOT come with built-in Bluetooth

That is definetly the iMac EDU model.

There are other indiactors on this page which have marketing model numbers for the iMac (Mid 2006). I bet they correspond to the iMac EDU.

I got excited for 30 seconds though. My cash has been waiting for the right moment.

moot

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
in the great Asian wonderland
OK, checked the Marketing model number for the iMac EDU. I put one in my cart and it came up with this number "MA406LL/A"

That totally matches the info for the iMac (Mid 2006)

Marketing model number iMac model

MA406xx/A 17-inch iMac (Mid 2006), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.