Mid-2006 MacBook Screen Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Joeski, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Joeski macrumors member

I bought a MacBook new from an Apple Store in August 2006. I don't know any of the specs. Today, I turned it on and the screen is shot. Parts of it change color while its booting up, so maybe it's still reading the blue screen to my wallpaper. This is what it looks like at the moment:

[​IMG]

I'm 99% sure I'm not under AppleCare anymore, but I'm taking it to the Apple Store on Friday anyway to see if they can help me at all, our at least give me some information.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That's most definitely appears to be a crushed LCD panel...Have you dropped it/dropped something on it/lent it out lately?

If that is what it is, AppleCare will not cover that even if you still are in coverage.

3. Buzzworms macrumors member

Buzzworms

4. dns72 macrumors member

Yeah your screen is busted. It's probably not going to show your wallpaper any time soon :p

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Yes sir, that is a good old fashioned cracked screen. Apple will quote you a price that would allow you to buy the same machine used off ebay in good condition.

FWIW, iresq is $207. Return shipping is charged seperately. That makes missionrepair slightly cheaper.

It just so happens that I'm cheaper than both of them. :D I am completely without shame.

The price of the 13.3" CCFL backlit LCDs is going up. Even for quantity buyers the Samsung LTN-133W1-L01 is becoming significantly more expensive. If you want an LP133WX1(TL)(A1)(the LCD most likely used in your machine), here's the best place to grab one. I'd suggest doing so while they're still cheap. screencountry and everyone else have dramatically raised their prices, and most other vendors sell inferior "compatible" models or used LCDs for that price.

You can replace it yourself. I'm not going to pretend it's rocket science and that you need LEET APPLE CERTZ or the cliche "10+ yrs experience!!1" you find on every website, to do it. It is a pain in the ass to open unfamiliar gear for the first time, and I do meet people everyday who I wouldn't trust to hold a laptop, much less open one - however, given some patience, you can try to do it yourself. I have some posts in other threads detailing some guidelines. If you haven't dropped it in a manner that caused severe damage, you could be alright doing it yourself.