Mid-2007 iMac Firewire 400 Out?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by powerbook911, Oct 17, 2011.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

My Mid-2007 iMac still chugs along. However, last week, I began to have trouble with the Firewire 400 port. The Firewire 400 hard drive would not show up, but it would show up daisy chained to a Firewire 800 drive, so I left it plugged into that (daisy chained off the 800 port).

Today I got out my ancient First Generation iPod (yes physical click wheel). I got a firewire 400 cable (different one than tried on the hard drive) and plugged it into the iMac! It charged the first generation iPod, but iTunes never synced it. Daisy chained the iPod to the 800 drive, and it worked again, so iPod was fine just like hard drive.

I then did the reset where you shutdown, unplug at least 15 seconds, plug back in, wait 5 seconds, and turn on system. Firewire 400 still doesn't work. Also tried resetting PRAM with no luck.

Is the Firewire 400 port likely out then despite still having power? One time the iPod 1st generation did show up under the system profiler, but most of the time, anything in the Firewire 400 seems to freeze the firewire portion of system profiler.

Thanks for any advice or if I should say goodbye for good to this port.

2. tom5304 macrumors regular

I had to say goodbye to this port from day one.

Seriously, the Firewire 400 port on my mid-2007 Aluminum iMac 20" never did work. I kept telling myself to take it back under warranty, but I kept on not really needing that port.

It still doesn't work, and I still don't need it. But it sounds like you DO need it. Sorry I can't help with the problem, but I can commiserate...

3. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Thanks. Many thanks. Well, I can certainly use the port, but I don't need it. I can just keep daisy chaining everything. Once I upgrade to a new Mac, I won't have Firewire 400 anymore anyway, not even two 800s.

Sorry to hear yours was dead from the start. Thank you though, you make me feel better about living without it.