Mid-2007 iMac OS Question...Please Help!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ipad3g, Apr 21, 2014.

1. ipad3g macrumors member

I had a question regarding updating the OS on a mid-2007 imac, I got this imac from a friend. It has the original MAC OS out at the time....according to apple.com this imac can be updated to the latest Mavericks software. Question is do I have to update the OS in steps? For example, upg to snow leopard, lion, mountain lion, mavericks or can i go straight to mavericks? Keep in mind I don't need any information saved or backed up so i don't care about losing anything on this iMac. Please advise, thanks.

2. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

If you're on Leopard now (OS X 10.5) you need to upgrade to Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6) in order to access the Mac App Store. From Snow Leopard you can update directly to Mavericks for free.

3. rapicell macrumors regular

You need at least snow leopard updated to 10.6.8 so that you can access the app store. After that you can do straight to mavericks.

4. ipad3g thread starter macrumors member

5. Mugwumper macrumors regular

Check RAM and HD space

I didn't see anything in the posts or responses about the installed RAM or HD.

If you only have 2GB RAM installed, Mavericks probably won't be all that snappy. There are 2 slots for RAM, so you'll probably have to take out the 2x1GB and replace with 2x2GB. (supposedly, others have gone to 6GB with 1x4GB and 1x2GB in the slots, but Apple only officially supports 4GB)

Also, how big is the hard drive? Looks like 320GB? And do you have the 20" or 24"?

At least you have USB 2.0 ports - and FireWire! ;^) (can I interest you in some external FW 400 drives I have? ;^) )

I think I'd also suggest doing a clean install when you start the Snow Leopard install.

Have fun! ;^)

6. ipad3g thread starter macrumors member

Ok so i just tried and failed to install! So i picked up a snow leopard CD from a buddy who has a 2009 21-inch iMac, the mid-2007 iMac i have is 24-inch running 10.5.1, and has 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo with 1gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. When I install the CD it brings up the menu, I click the install now button and get this error "Mac OS X Snow Leopard cannot be installed on this computer", what should I do? Is their a way i can boot from CD (like windows) and just format the drive to do a clean install??

7. ipad3g thread starter macrumors member

Ok so i just tried and failed to install! So i picked up a snow leopard CD from a buddy who has a 2009 21-inch iMac, the mid-2007 iMac i have is 24-inch running 10.5.1, and has 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo with 1gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. When I install the CD it brings up the menu, I click the install now button and get this error "Mac OS X Snow Leopard cannot be installed on this computer", what should I do? Is their a way i can boot from CD (like windows) and just format the drive to do a clean install??

8. jimmymac71 macrumors newbie

jimmymac71

I believe you must purchase a copy of Snow Leopard. You cannot use an install disc from a different Mac. Apple does not allow that. My iMac came with Tiger DVDs, but a mistake was made and they were not for my machine and did not work. You can purchase Snow Leopard from The Apple Store for $19.99 with free shipping. Apple is also selling Lion at the Store. It is clearly noted Lion needs 2 GB RAM.

I have a 20 inch iMac with 2 GB RAM - 250 GB HD - 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 2007 (7,1 model)

I have Snow Leopard on DVD and Mountain Lion purchased from the App Store before the release of Mavericks. You must upgrade the RAM or purchase and install Snow Leopard. You could continue to run Leopard, but Apple is not supporting it.

My iMac came with an upgrade DVD for Leopard, which had a minimum RAM requirement of 512 MB.

I originally had just 1 GB RAM and Leopard was fine. With the 2 GB I have now, Snow Leopard is faster. I get spinning wheels with Mavericks, but it did install without issue. I am currently using 1.9 GB of RAM according to Activity Monitor.

You are perhaps in a situation like mine. The machine has some age to it. Any money spent is at your own risk. I would not want to spend money on my iMac if it suddenly failed.

You have options. Staying with Leopard is not a great idea. If you do, at least update it. Snow Leopard is still being supported, but that could change with the release of the next OS from Apple. That will work on your iMac without getting more RAM, but not as efficiently. You could purchase more RAM and 4 is a better suggestion than 2. Purchase either Snow Leopard or Lion on DVD from the Apple Store. Snow Leopard may not be as decent a choice, in my opinion. It needs to be updated before you can get to the App Store to download Mavericks, which isn't necessary with Lion.

A friend of mine has the same iMac as you and is running Mavericks with 4 GB RAM. Works fine.

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You have to purchase a retail copy of Snow Leopard.

Installation discs that come with a Mac can only be used on that Mac as it contains only the drivers for that specific Mac.

10. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Jesus the advice you give guys ... It's completely nonsensical to buy outdated OS just to get the newest (and free) OS X Mavericks. I bet if you try hard you'll find someone in your area who is running Snow Leopard or newer.

If that person is willing to let you use the computer, you can access Mac App Store, log in with your Apple ID, "purchase" OS X Mavericks and then creating bootable USB installation by using Lion Disk Maker.

Cost: $0

11. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I just updated my daughter's 2008 iMac from 2 GB of RAM to the full 4 GB. What a performance difference!

----------

We don't condone pirating software or "cheating the system." The legit way to do it is to buy Snow Leopard. Plus your way is a lot more work. And Snow Leopard is only $20 at Apple right now: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

12. comatory, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Tell me how my way is not legit. Going to different Mac, signing in with your own Apple ID and downloading free software is not illegal. Creating backup copy of your software is legal in most of the countries.

How is my way more work? Let's assume my friend comes by with newest Macbook Air, the download takes around 40 min on my connection. Another 15 minutes to create bootable drive with diskmaker.

Your way - I have to order Snow Leopard, wait for it to arrive, then I have to install it, then I have to download Mavericks installer... and install another OS again!

Wow! I saved 20 dollars and hour of my life. Unbelievable!

P.S.: If you can't get to newer Mac or have poor/capped internet connection, then going Snow Leopard route makes sense of course. Otherwise it costs more money, hassle and time.