Mid-2007 Macbook Black - Memory Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DESPERADO21CZ, Jan 11, 2015.

1. DESPERADO21CZ macrumors newbie

Hi there. I currently own a 13" Mid-2007 Macbook Black (A1181). I'm not really all that big into Macs in general (Even though I have 9 old Apple Machines that I keep because of value and cool factor) but I do use the A1181 as a machine to go because I like the form factor and the design.

I recently took it apart and replaced the thermal paste, added and SSD and I noticed I had two different sticks of ram albeit both had same specs (PC2-5300 and CL5 timing).

I realized I have two stick of 2GB PC2-6400 ram in my drawer both from the same company so I replaced the ram but I noticed that in Mac OS it still reads the ram as 667MHz although both sticks are 800MHz. Is this a software issue or does the Macbook not support 800MHz speeds?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Macbook Specs: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-core-2-duo-2.16-black-13-mid-2007-specs.html

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That machine does not support memory speeds of 800Mhz. It will work, but only at 667Mhz.

3. DESPERADO21CZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, well I noticed it works :) Thanks for clearing that up!

4. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

i must say that is a nice mac. mine is a 2010 MacBook Pro and it died on me last year. so now to the point. OSX is only going to run it at OSX's max for the HW, that means your model can only handle 667MHz but if the 800MHz is working then use it.

5. DESPERADO21CZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I was gonna keep it in since it was sitting around anyway :) As I said, I build/repair PCs for a living so Apple isn't in my everyday thing but I certainly do like the Black Macbook. 13" is perfect size for taking it around and I definitely love the design.

I do have some older stuff from Apple though. Got a Ruby iMac G3, 15" iMac G4, 12" iBook G4, Macintosh Classic, Apple Newton MessagePad 120 and my pride and joy a fully boxed, once used eMac G4 :) All machines are still going strong too :)