Mid-2007 MacBook to current 13" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Karvel, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Karvel macrumors regular

Hello! I currently own a Mid-2007 entry-level MacBook. It's 3 years old now (I bought it for university), so now at the end of my degree I'm slightly curious as to the notebooks that Apple have in their line-up right now. I could probably stretch, if I were to buy one, to the entry-level 13" MacBook Pro. My question is, and this is just curiosity - is there much to be jealous of in the current entry level 13" MacBook Pro, compared to what I have now? I upgraded the RAM to 2GB and the HD to 500GB in the one I have now, but still I get jealous when I see pictures of the MBP - should I be? Or is what I currently have now not too bad?

Many thanks!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Honestly, it's not really that much faster. You'll see the biggest difference in the graphics card (which is still integrated but a lot faster) and battery life. You won't see as much of a difference in the processor.

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

You are in better situation than I was.
    I bought my while Macbook in 2007 along with my iPod Touch 1G.
    in 2009, I became really anxious about the new computer since my GMA 950 (believe it or not, it's a piece of sh**) couldn't do any graphic designing or any gaming at all. In the end, I bought MBP 2009 nVidia 9400m.
    I don't know what graphic card you have, but if you are looking forward to battery life and graphic (like the guy said above me), you should try to get a new one.
    If graphic and battery is not your main reason, I'd rather wait for next 6 month.

4. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Is there something your current machine isn't doing for you that you need a new laptop?

If so, buy a new machine = if not, wait...

I just rebuild a 6+ year old Sony Vaio laptop since I found a main board on ebay for $80 shipped and it still has one of the best resolution 10" screens on the market today (1280x768) with better viewing angles than my whitebook.

Its a 1Ghz centrino with 1 Gb of RAM (lifetime on the RAM from Crucial).

Unfortunately is uses a 1.8" HDD so I can't easily put an SSD into it for a reasonable cost so I'm stuck with its 60Gb HDD but it works, is 3 lbs and has a built-in optical drive along with 2 USB ports (who needs a MBA:D)...this is fine for carrying to work and a heck of a lot cheaper if it gets broken/stolen...

6. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I spose I'm happy with what I've got. I think I over exaggerate in my mind how much more I would play games if I had decent integrated graphics.

7. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

It seems to me your Macbook is already working great for you. Normally I would say hell, go for the upgrade but...in this case I would suggest you to keep your Macbook until at least next year sometime around Spring.

When the next Macbook Pro gets upgraded and released, I would buy right there and then. I think you are pretty fortunate to be in this type of situation where your old laptop is working great and fine and you don't have to upgrade to an aging MBP.