Mid-2009 17" MacBook Pro Freezes Constantly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samiwas, Aug 23, 2014.

1. samiwas macrumors 68000

I have a mid-2009 17" MacBook Pro. A few months ago, I was getting endless freezes and immediate shutdowns. I would just be working, or surfing the web, and the laptop would simply freeze in place. Or, after putting it in my bag and going to work in the morning, upon opening, it would stay on for about one second, then immediately shut off. Both issues required a hard restart.

I finally got so fed up with the 3-6 freezes every day, that I completely wiped the hard drive clean using a "write zeros" erase, followed by a mavericks install.

At first, it seemed alright. But now, the issue is back. In fact, it's frozen twice in the last 15 minutes, and immediately shuts down every single morning when I open it from sleep.

I could be wrong, but I think every time it's frozen I've been in Safari, possibly Google Maps. The shutdowns don't follow any pattern I know of.

How do I find crash reports and figure out what the hell is going on with this machine??

2. simsaladimbamba

Crash reports can be found in the Console app or here.

As for OS X 10.9 Mavericks, I have the same MBP (17", 2009 model, 2.8 GHz, 8 GB RAM), and I had hourly kernel panics.
    OS X 10.10 Yosemite was better, but a bit buggy and slow otherwise.
    I now run OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on it and it is quite stable.

3. kfmfe04 macrumors member

How odd - I have a mid-2009 13" 2.53 GHz mbp that I've upgraded OSX through the years and I've never had any OS issues.

Is there something special in the 17", like a dgpu, which is causing OSX to choke?