Mid-2009 17" update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cosfordparker, Jul 9, 2017.

1. cosfordparker macrumors newbie

I have a mid-year 2009, 17" MBP that's getting a little clunky with newer apps and app updates. I'm not a gamer or artist - it's just my main machine for usual stuff - writing, genealogy, etc. Given it's lovely size, and the outrageous cost of a new MBP, I want to keep this machine up and running as long as possible. So, I have questions . . .

What components of a mid-2009 MBP are upgradable? Is there a publication that covers this? When buying components what do I need to watch out for? Is any of it doable myself? (Upgrading memory replacing batteries and replacing a few laptop screens is the extent of my expertise.)

I appreciate any guidance you can give me.

Mac BookPro 5,2: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB 1067MHz DDR3, 1.07 BUS, NVDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Have you upgraded the hard drive?

Swapping a spinning hard drive for an SSD is the best upgrade that you can do on any laptop.

3. cosfordparker thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jul 9, 2017 ---
    Thanks, DeltaMac - I have not upgraded the hard drive. Why does an SSD make so much difference?

4. Blakehoo macrumors member

Blakehoo

It really does make a huge difference. Almost instant access and start-up compared to what you are used to....

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Where to begin?
    Faster boots.
    Quicker access to read files.
    Quicker writes to the drive.
    Faster launching of apps.
    All of these are very noticeable, not just "measureable"
    other difference:
    Silent operation
    less heat generated
    Usually better battery life
    The drive itself will weigh less, so will (slightly) drop the overall weight of your MBPro.

Almost everything that you do will feel much "snappier", and will result in performance even better than when your MBPro was new.
    Disadvantage: If you want the same storage space as your existing hard drive, the SSD does cost more.
    I recommend that if you DO swap out to an SSD, you should also replace the internal SATA cable at the same time. Not expensive, and will likely eliminate a possible problem when you swap out the drive. You move the cable, which is 8 years old or more, and the swap can sometimes cause a failure of that part. You have to move everything around anyway, and changing the cable with the drive is a Good Thing™

6. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Yes I agree with everyone else here. Get rid of that spinning had drive and install an SSD. To answer your other questions the ram module and battery are user replaceable.

7. cosfordparker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, DeltaMac, Blakehoo and baypharm!

SSD it is!