Mid-2009 Macbook 2.0GHz Upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kevinthenguyen, Nov 30, 2012.

1. kevinthenguyen macrumors newbie

Looking to add a bit more pep in my Macbook's step.

Currently I use my mid-2009 Macbook for:
    1. Typical web-browsing, iTunes, Office, etc.
    2. Photoshop CS5

I would like to run a virtual machine, possible via Parallels (unless there is something more suitable than Parallels). I need the virtual machine to run AutoCad / Solidworks.

My Macbook currently utilizes 2x 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM - I've read that I can bump this to 6GB (1x 2GB and 1x 4GB). I've also read that some have tried 8GB. Is upgrading to 6GB or even 8GB a safe bet? Parallels recommends at least 4GB for the virtual machine.

Secondly, my Macbook currently utilizes a 120GB SATA disk. I would like to upgrade this - possibly to a 256GB SSD paired with a 500GB HD via a OWC Data Doubler.

Do you think these upgrades would result in a quicker and smoother running machine capable of running a Virtual Machine smoothly (or is this all more dependent on the graphics card)?

2. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

A mid 2009 MacBook used 800mhz DDR2 RAM. Thus, this machine will be of handling a max of 6GB 800Mhz RAM (1x 4 + 1 x 2GB).

Only the last version of the MacBook no-unibody (your version) supports more than 4GB and uses 800Mhz RAM (and not 667Mhz).

Furthermore, an SSD would be the wisest upgrade. It will greatly enhance the performance.

My girlfriend uses a white mid 2009 MacBook non-unibody model with 4GB and 256GB SSD. The system looks new with a new topcase and runs Mountain Lion. It flies.

It's just as fast in general tasks than any newer MacBook (Pro) due to the SSD. Also, the Nvidia 9400M is still more than fine for normal tasks!

If you have budget constraints, first go for the SSD if you already have 4GB.