Mid-2009 Macbook Charger Fried.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Voubaan, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Voubaan macrumors newbie

Last night my white macbook's charger died on me. It all happened very quickly, the orange light first faded, I moved the chord a bit and it came back on again. I did this a few times and then all I saw was a big flash.

My Macbook powered down immediately and the cable had lost some of the coating revealing the wires inside. Of course I panicked and unplugged everything and after a short while I pushed the power button on my laptop and it came back to life (thank god).

So now I'm stuck with a laptop quickly losing battery life and a broken charger. I bought the laptop in '09 and it's no longer in warranty and I also don't live near an Apple store so going to one isn't an option. I assume I'm going to have to fork out £50 for a new one but Apple's website doesn't have the 60W magsafe charger mine came with, only seems to stock the newer 'L-style' ones (85W and 45W).

Wondering if anyone can help me, thanks!

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MC461LL/A
    Here you go.
    The L style works the same as the old one.
    There is still a 60 watt one (for 13" macbook pro's and for people who want an extra/new macbook charger)
    Apple *might* swap your power adapter.
    "Whether your product is in or out of warranty, you can take your adapter to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store for evaluation and replacement if necessary. Pending the results of the evaluation, you may or may not be eligible for a replacement adapter free of charge. Signs of accidental damage would negate any coverage. Be sure to bring in the computer used with the adapter; it is required to process potential adapter replacements."