Mid-2009 Macbook Pro 13 hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crazybus, Mar 31, 2011.

1. crazybus macrumors newbie

I'm replacing a dead hard drive in a Mid-2009 13" Macbook Pro and I've read lots about issues with SATA 3gbps and freezing with the 9400m chipset models. Is there some consensus on which replacement hard drive brand/model is most compatible? Normally I'd just grab a new 7200rpm Western Digital drive, but I'd rather not run into problems. If I can use the HDD manufacturer's utility to limit the interface speed to 1.5gbps is that a good enough fix, without rolling back the machine's firmware?

2. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

I have never come across the issue you mentioned. I have used original 160GB drives, WD Blue 500GB, WD Black 320GB, Seagate Momentus XT hybrid 320GB, OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD all without any issue whatsoever.

3. crazybus thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Sounds like it doesn't affect all MacBook pro 13" 2009 then. Or it happens and I don't notice it. I currently own two of these models and also had a third one which I sold. I'll have a read on those threads and see if I am just missing something. Thanks for the info.

5. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

shouldnt be much different to the 2010 model.

i have an x25m working perfectly

6. crazybus thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the 2010 model has both a different chipset (320M), 3Gbps drive options by default and there was plenty of opportunity for Apple to fix the SATA cable signalling issues, if that was the problem as some have speculated.

7. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

The last post in that thread was July 2010 so I am wondering if this is an issue that has been resolved since then? Can't remember if Apple Updates included a firmware update at some point in the last year or so...

All I can say is I have had several different drive models in 3 different 2009 MBP 13" and haven't noticed any of the pausing/clicking that I saw mentioned. Hopefully this is an issue that has therefore been resolved. Fingers crossed. ;)

8. crazybus thread starter macrumors newbie

I see the last post as being Mar 10,2011. Anyway, Apple hasn't released an updated firmware since 1.7, which originally caused the issue. 1.7 enabled 3Gbps SATA for supporting drives. Downgrading to EFI firmware 1.6 fixes the problem for most people, but limits SATA speeds to 1.5Gbps. That's certainly a possible solution in my case, but because it's not my system I want to ensure someone won't unknowingly update the firmware and run into problems. I'll probably just get a drive that I know I can force into SATA 1.5Gbps mode.

9. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Oops. Sorry, I didn't go far enough. I thought I clicked on last page of posts but it was just page 10. My bad.

How do I check what FW version I have? Is it under the "about this Mac"?

10. crazybus thread starter macrumors newbie

In System Profile under "Boot ROM Version". Firmware 1.7 for the Macbook Pro 5,5 is MBP55.00AC.B03. This page lists the current firmware versions for all Intel-based Macs. It's quite probable that this problem doesn't affect everyone, or I doubt Apple would have ever released the update, even with the disclaimer for unsupported hard drives. Still it's weird and frustrating that this was ever a problem in the first place.