Mid 2009 MacBook Pro - Acting Funny, Help!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adamapple, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Adamapple macrumors member

The finder won't let me do anything, ie. when I open Safari, I just get the spinning wheel, as is with all other apps. I have repaired permissions (luckily got that far) ... but it still just hangs ... iPhoto had to repair all the albums ... I'm stuck on what to do ... please help me :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, have you restarted your Mac? That's a basic first step in troubleshooting that solves many minor problems. Also, repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues and isn't likely to help in many situations. Launch Activity Monitor, select "All Processes" and see if you have a runaway process that is consuming system resources. You might also use Disk Utility to verify your drive. I'd make sure you have a current backup of your drive, in case it's starting to fail.

3. StockDC2 macrumors regular

Sounds like your hard drive is about to kick the bucket. I hope you backed everything up!

4. Adamapple thread starter macrumors member

Yes restarted powered off multiple times ... No backup :(

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Could also be that your SATA cable is starting to fail. I also have a mid-2009 and have gone through more SATA cables than I can count.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yep classic HDD and/or SATA cable issue.

First things first, no matter what, backup. Don't faff around rebuilding iPhoto libraries - if your drive is on it's way, you're only going to make it fail sooner. Get an external and back everything up. Like, now.

Then, go to your local apple store - they will be able to test it with a new SATA cable. It's like an £8 part, and quite often goes (especially if you've changed the HDD yourself).

7. Adamapple thread starter macrumors member

What is the best method to transfer/backup my data? I purchased a MacBook Air tonight ... and my MacBook Pro is still giving me the spinning wheel ... I tried copying some files to a flash drive stick ... it did not work ... any ideas? I need to copy 50gb of my work files, my iPhoto Library, iTunes music (small), and some other files, fonts, etc.

8. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Get an external HDD and try to copy your stuff I suppose. However, continued use of the drive and powering on/off will likely make the drive fail faster, so try not to excessively try to use it except for recovering data. How did the flash drive copy fail?

9. Adamapple thread starter macrumors member

It started to copy to the flash drive ... progress bar moved ... then it just hung up ...