Mid 2009 MacBook Pro and SATA II issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nautigar, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Nautigar macrumors regular

Hello,

I ordered a 13" MBP 2.53 a week ago, but it has not been shipped yet.

Now I have read about serious problems with the new MacBook Pros (13" and 15" only) concerning SATA II and third party drives in many forums, such as the Apple Support forum and the OCZ forum:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2054387&start=0&tstart=0

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57617

As I understand it, the first mid 2009 MacBook Pros supported SATA I speeds only. After many user complaints, Apple addressed the issue with a firmware update, but it seems the MBPs hardware has a problem with full SATA II speeds since many users reported issues with 3rd party drives after the firmware update.

Apple's answer so far seems to be that 3rd party drives and SATA II are not supported officially.

Since I want to use a 3rd party SSD (such as OCZ) with SATA II later, I wonder whether I should cancel my order until Apple resolves these issues.

Now my question is:

Who of you uses a third party drive (7200 RPM or SSD) with a SATA II interface running at 3GBit/s with either the 13" or 15" mid 2009 MacBook Pros? Do you experience the problems mentioned in the threads above?

Thank you very much for your help,
    Matthias.

2. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I have a Seagate 7200.4 with the new upgraded firmware, and it works perfectly.

Not everyone is experiencing these issues, by the way (meaning it seems it's a hit or miss and it doesn't mean that if you upgrade you will DEFINITELY have the issue).

3. Smoothie macrumors 6502

It would make more sense for you to simply read the threads you've cited and others on this very topic. I don't know what benefit there is to starting another thread. In fact, by continuing to add to the existing threads, there is a greater assurance that they will stay at the top of the forums and garner more attention from Apple.

4. Nautigar thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, of course I read the threads, that's why I am concerned. But since I have no MBP yet, I cannot contribute to these threads in any reasonable way.

Since I read only little of the problem in this forum here, I hope to get some feedback like the one from fehhkk above (thanks!) to get an impression of how common this problem actually is. It is the old story - people without issues usually don't post. That's why I hope to encourage some users that successfully use SATA II in the new MBPs to report here.