Mid 2009 Macbook Pro HDMI Audio Question

go0sebumpz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
cali
I have a mid 2009 macbook pro and currently purchased a mini displayport to hdmi. I wanted to watch movies on my hdtv and unfortunately I do not get any audio output from the tv. I tried using my brother's new macbook pro and his works fine with the displayport if i change the settings by going to System pref>sound>output> and selecting the hdmi audio that is shown on the list. How come my 2009 macbook doesn't have the option to select hdmi audio ? What is the best alternative to get output through the tv using the mini display port so that I can watch movies through my laptop to the tv? Does anyone have a Cheap easy solution instead of having to purchase a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI with 5.1 Channel Digital Audio? Thanks for your help

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Support for audio over hdmi wasn't added till later. If you look on the back of your tv you should have a hdmi port that allows audio over phono/3.5mm or optical digital all of which are supported by your MacBook obviously optical being the best!

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Since the hdmi isn't sending audio through, you have to send it separately.